Diabetes diet

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:12 am

Read over www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html for some tips to evaluate the proper weight for your guinea pig. Become familiar with her body so you can kind of tell if any new weight is general or localized.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am

That much weight gain in that short a time would worry me, too, especially in an adult pig. But it's possible that it's not a tumor, but liquid weight -- fluid in the abdomen or lungs, for example. Do you trust this vet?

adorolecavie

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:41 am

Just coming back to this, sorry for not responding before but I never saw your replies.

Dory is doing just fine now, I took her to two separate vets who are the most highly recommended exotic vets where I live (one is my usual vet) and they both could find absolutely nothing to explain the weight gain, which is not fluid, nor explain why she had dropped so significantly this summer. My only possible thought might be that she does not tolerate the warmer months well, though our apartment is air-conditioned as we also have two french bulldogs and they can't deal with the heat either, so it doesn't really seem likely.

Anyway, the circling has also stopped for the most part - she can and does walk in a straight line, but if she has to turn, she always turns to that one side. The vet thinks that her balance may be a bit off, as she does have a head tilt which was left after her stroke in April, so this might explain the reason she favors turning to one side.

She is eating, wheeking, jumping like her normal self again, and is up to 830 grams, which is just 100 grams shy of her average lifetime weight (the highest she's gone is 990 g, lowest this summer at 690 g). So the mystery has not at all been solved but she is doing okay for now, and so we'll just keep taking it one day at a time.

Thanks all for the help and support that you have given over these trying months. It is terrible when our furballs are sick, but heartbreaking when you try everything possible and you can't find the cause! Thank goodness it has passed, fingers crossed it stays this way!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for the update. I hope she stays in relative good health!