Whining when peeing, bladder stones?

CatFoodz

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi!
I recently discovered that my guinea pig whines while she pees, like she's in pain. She's hasn't been moving a lot lately and drinks more than usual. There's no blood in the pee and she is still eating like usually. Also her poo is a lot smaller. When I showed my mom this she agreed with me. But it's already too late to go to the vet, we have to wait until morning.
Is there anything we can do to help my piggy a little bit?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Not really.

This doesn't always hold true, but whining when peeing seems to be more associated with bladder infections than this stones. Whining when pooping is more commonly a symptom of stones.

But you do need to have her evaluated. A small stone can fall into the urethra and block the flow of urine, causing a painful, expensive emergency. On the other hand, a small stone can sometimes be expelled by a sow.

Do see a good exotic vet -- this is not something for a small animal vet. They treat dogs and cats, not exotic pets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 pm

I would definitely see a vet. Read over www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

CatFoodz

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 am

Today I went to the vet but sadly the vet who treats rodents and other exotic animals wasn't working today,
so the other vet really didn't know what to do much. But she promised to contact the right vet so we could
go again tomorrow.
Hopefully everything will turn out to be okay.