Baby pig with URI

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:21 am


Morning all.

Emergency situation on my hands

8 weeks old guinea pig, brought home yesterday, found she had a URI. Took her to usual vets, he didn't think it was URI, reluctant to use baytril due to age. They gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and talked about injecting her with penicillin. At that point I hightailed it out of there.

I had a little bactrim in my fridge. Gave her a 0.2 cc dose last night and this morning. She's eating and drinking on her own. Her breathing becomes raspy when she is afraid or chewing.

I am trying to get her into Coastway at Brighton with their exotic there. Due a call from them in an hour.

What do I do, guys? Bactrim is almost impossible to get hold of in the UK and my personal supply is almost gone. How do I best help her? Should I hospitalize her for her own safety?

Any advice greatly received. I have never had a baby pig before and am hopelessly lost and heartbroken right now.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 am


I am so sorry she is ill. If you aren't already, start weighing her a couple of times a day in case you need to hand feed her.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

I am so glad you cleared out once that vet suggested penicillin! I would try to keep her yourself and monitor her closely. I hope you can get more Bactrim (trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole) for her. There are other antibiotics that could help. Even Baytril, though it is not recommended for young guinea pigs.
www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Ideally you'd identify the bacteria and use the appropriate antibiotic. Let us know what the new vet says.
www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 am


Hi Lynx, thanks for replying.

She's now got sulfatrim, another brand of Bactrim and some bisolvon. I am a bit worried that the sulfatrim is too low a dosage, they've advised 0.05ml twice a day. She weighs 340g. I don't know the strength of the suspension frustratingly.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am


You can calculate exactly how much she is getting here:

www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 pm


Right so the called my vet back and it seems she's on the double strength stuff, 16mg/ml x 80mg ml. I tried using the dosage calculator but honestly it confused me so much as the figures are for the usual paediatric suspension.

Could you please help me work it out? As I understand it, on the paediatric suspension she should on 0.2cc every 12 hours, given her weight of 340g.

So should she be on 0.1cc of this stuff every 12 hours?

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 pm


For the calculation, you would add the amount of the two drugs.
http://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html
Bactrim is a commonly used human and veterinary antibiotic and generally comes in a standard suspension. Each 5.0 ml of this pediatric oral suspension (one of the drugs sometimes referred to as "the pink stuff") contains 200mg sulfamethoxazole and 40mg trimethoprim/5ml for a total of 240mg active ingredients/5ml or 48mg/cc. A dose of 0.625 cc would provide 30mg bactrim for a pig of one kilo (2.2 pounds).
200mg sulfamethoxazole and 40mg trimethoprim/5ml is:
40mg sulfamethoxazole and 8mg trimethoprim/5ml

So you are right is a double strength if it is 16mg/ml x 80mg ml.

For calculations, use 96mg/cc and the same dosage of 30 mg/kg q12h.
To do the calculations, you also need the weight of your guinea pig.
www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Britpigmum

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:56 am


Thank you Lynx.

I've run the numbers and she is only getting 14.12 mg in that dose at the moment. Should I take her up to 0.1cc every 12 hours?

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 am


Bactrim is pretty well tolerated. If you are sure of your numbers/weight/concentration, etc. you could do so. Ideally you would run it by your vet (ask about the standard 30 mg/kg q12h that is usually given).

Britpigmum

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm


I am such an idiot. I discussed with the vet, she doesn't weigh anything close to a kilo, she's only 340g so the full 30mg would be far too much for her weight...

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 pm


Ah, glad you got that cleared up.

Britpigmum

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 am


Hi, back again.

This morning I have found what I think is a plaque of fungal infection on baby pig's shoulder. She is going back to vets today. If she has a fungal infection, I understand this can lead to URIs. Is this likely in her case? Would systemic treatment of the fungus be of benefit to her lungs? TBH I am wary of topical treatment, particularly bathing, due to her respiratory issues. I don't want to do anything that will unduly stress her/put her breathing at any further risk.

Britpigmum

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 am


The vet has now seen her again. Head of the exotic dept, I requested her especially. Not taking any chances with this fragile little life.

The good news is her lungs are vastly improved. No sound of any concern in them even when piggy was distressed during examination. Infection seems to just be in the sinuses now. Continuing with the sulfa another 10 days minimum to be sure we knock this thing out.

Vet doesn't think fungal infection is systemic and happy to treat topically. We're to clean the area with hibiscrub and apply medicated cream twice a day. I don't know the name of the cream at this second (my partner took her to the vets, I was on the phone and slightly distracted by hearing poor baby crying while she was being shaved around her plaque, poor little thing...) but will post when I get home later. She wants to see her back in a week, if there is not a significant improvement in the fungal area we will send for cultures then.

Fighting so hard for this tiny life. I hurt for her. She's having such a tough start in life.

I wanted to ask, is this likely to affect her further down the line, healthwise? I'm avidly avoiding any meds such as baytril which may effect her development. But could we be looking at lifelong lung issues, given how tiny she is when this is happening? Or problems with her gut? We're trying our best to keep on top of her pro-biotic. She had an upset tummy over the weekend (we actually hospitalised her for 36 hours to ensure she had the best care). It's improving now, she's back up to soft poops rather than mushy bottom. But is this likely to cause permanent damage, all of this?

I desperately want to help her. I want her to pull through, and be happy and healthy and never be in this position again...

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm


I recall a couple members mentioning scarring of the lungs with severe URIs. I do not know if this is an issue for her. I am betting topical medications will help with the fungus.
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

You are doing a great job. Hang in there!

Britpigmum

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm


About an hour or so ago she pulled the fungal scab off. I thought she was having a fit at first, she suddenly screamed and freaked out, threw herself into her hidey. Then I realised what she had done...

The vet wanted this. It's hibiscrub and F10 barrier cream she's prescribed. Again, she wanted to start gentle and get aggressive only if necessary. She had tried to remove the scab in the office, but couldn't. She wanted to use the cream to soften it up...

Cleaning her up she screamed and screamed and her breathing really popped. We immediately cleaned out her cage again, cleaned the wound and applied more cream.

She is worrying at the wound a fair bit. I have seen her catch it a few times scratching. It looks so raw and sore, but my OH is telling me that the scab at the vets office looked far worse...

She's currently up and eating hay. She sulked and slept for a little while, I think the struggle and fear really wore her out, but she's up now.

Is it good the scab came off? It doesn't feel good...

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 pm


Take a look at the cream tube and make sure that ingestion is not dangerous. If it should not be ingested, apply thinly. You might also ask the vet about pain medication.

Britpigmum

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 am


She's doing better this morning. The wound has granulated to a clean, flat scab and her pain levels seem much improved, it was much easier to clean and cream her. I will call her vet this morning to ask about giving her a little metacam while it heals. She's still eating well and drinking well. The cream is germicidal and anti fungal, fortunately she can't lick it due to the position of the wound, it's sort of between her neck and shoulder. She did catch it a couple of times last night scratching, that's what worried me. But she seems pretty okay this morning, all things considered.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:42 pm


That is good news. I hope she continues to improve.

Britpigmum

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 am


She seems to be doing really well. The sneezing is slowing down and her nose is drying up. This morning rather than an actual runny nose after she sneezed, she just had a tiny little bubble of clear snot with I cleared away with my nail. Hardly anything at all.

Her wound is keeping clear as well. I think she managed to catch it overnight Tuesday, it was a little sore yesterday morning when I cleaned it, but last night and this morning it was much less tender again and my OH is convinced it is getting smaller.

She's eating so well. We have started to introduce her to veggies, since her poops are so much better. Keeping it basic, some baby gem lettuce tips and a few carrot shavings, but she's scoffing it up so happily.

We feel like we are making progress. She's very bright and playful in herself. She wants to explore everything. Gifting us with lots of popcorns and last night she wheeked for the first time. It was very loud and clear and I'm going to be honest, I was so happy to hear it I cried.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 am


That is just wonderful. It sounds like she is making her way into your heart.

For the vegetables, sometimes people introduce just a single vegetable at a time for a few days before introducing a new one to ensure it does not cause problems. Green peppers are wonderfully healthy, for example, but there are a handful of guinea pigs they don't agree with.

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 am


Yes, we're being very cautious in introducing new veg. We're going to see how she gets on with the baby gem and the odd bit of carrot for a few days, then try a slither of pepper in the mix too. Her stomach was so bad last weekend that I am not risking that again. So far she's doing very well from a gut point of view, considering she's on the ABs and metacam, I don't want that to change.

Post Reply
34 posts