3 guinea pigs lost from bloat

GuineaPigL

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:02 am

I have had 3 guinea pigs die on me in the last 7 days. They're all due to gas build up. How do I stop this? I have 4 boys left and they're doing fine. I'm just so lost. I took one to the Vet on Tuesday and was given medicine and anti-gas medicine for him. What am I doing wrong? Someone please help me.

GuineaPigL

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:06 am

I'm just so lost.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:10 am

I split your posts from the other thread.

I am so terribly sorry for your losses. I encourage you to read all the links you find here:

www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:58 am

I'm very sorry you lost them.

I'd suspect something they ate, although there could be other causes. And yes, it could bother some but not others -- some guinea pigs are just way more susceptible to digestive upsets than others.

Had you fed them anything new at all? Any change in diet? Fed larger amounts than usual?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm very sorry for your losses.

A few years back, I had four guinea pigs and two of them bloated after I fed them some blueberries, but the other two were fine. Blueberries were not new to them, they had them all of their lives. I suspect either something wrong with the batch of berries, or possibly just the age of my guinea pigs. Sometimes as they age, they lose their ability to digest certain foods.