Found abandoned pigs in park

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Last week the woman who pet sits for me sent me a text, she stopped at a local park and found two guinea pigs dumped in a milk crate. She asked me if I would take them so I did. I can’t keep them, I currently have 8 of my own, but we were near freezing temperatures, they weren’t safe out there and one has an infected eye so I decided to try to fix them up and hopefully find them a home.

They’re both males, about 2 years old I’d guess. One has a bad eye infection, the other has a bad case of mites and had a small impaction. I’m treating with antibiotic eye drops, cleaned the impaction and gave the first dose of topical ivermectin. I had them in a Midwest cage but now that they’re not as terrified they’ve started fighting terribly so I separated them.

A couple questions.
How many doses of ivermectin does he have to get before I can give him a bath? He’s long haired and filthy.

How many doses before he is considered “mite free” and I don’t have to worry about my personal pigs? I currently have them in a different room and am very careful about washing my hands and changing my clothes after handling them.

I’m planning to take the one with the eye infection to the vet tomorrow. I’ve been putting it off because there are no real cavy savy vets here but I think he needs oral antibiotics.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

You can give him a bath any time as long as the ivermectin has had time to soak into the skin. He needs four doses of ivermectin, seven days apart, to be sure to hit all the life cycle of the mites.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:44 pm

You're a good hearted person to take them in! Trimming their hair may make it easier to bathe them.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Thank you bpatters! Tomorrow will be day 7 so I’ll give them the second dose, then maybe Tuesday or Wednesday I’ll give him a bath. The short haired guy (we named him Lennie) seems fairly clean and no signs of mites but I’m treating him anyway. The long haired guy (George) isn’t missing fur but has old looking scabs all over his lower body that you can see if you separate his fur. It’s possible they’re just wounds, maybe from them fighting, but I figured the ivermectin wouldn’t hurt. I’ll probably take them both to the vet to get checked out.

Thanks Lynx. There was no way I could leave them out there, our temps dropped to about 38 that night.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 pm

How do I post photos? I know I used to have to do it through Photobucket, is that still the case?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:45 pm

I have space for medical photos if you have some clear crisp ones.