Pellegrino's Lousy Day

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 am

Pellegrino, intact male silky boar, almost two years old. He was always pickier about food than Pepino but recently he’s become what Salana referred to as a “scaredy pig,” extremely hyper, spending almost all his time in the pigloo and hardly coming out to eat. Last Monday I really worried about him but the food was gone when I came home.

I thought it might be an endocrine thing as his water bottle was always empty earlier than Pepino’s (that hasn’t happened recently) and he’s so hyper. Pepsi was the same way—extremely hyper and thin when she died. Necropsy revealed enlarged adrenal glands (like human like pig).

Yesterday I took him to the vet and she found lice. I was surprised as I his coat looked great and I hadn’t seen him scratching much. Pepino, an Abby, showed up louse-free. The vet says lice can really grab onto that long silky hair and I guess they had been there a while. It was probably the stress of the move that brought them out.
Both boys are on Revolution, which kicked in for Pepino within days when he had mites. Vet says re-treat Pellegrino in one month. It sucks for Pellegrino but I am relieved that it’s easily treated, unlike endocrine or tooth issues.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 am

Lice do not stay dormant like mites, so it probably happened during the move, as there is no way they could have been on a pig so long, unnoticed, without being swamped by now. It could have been in the truck even, they survive for 24 hours easily without contact with a living being. Don't blame yourself! They should start to feel better within days. Here is a decent link.
https://www.healthline.com/health/lice/how-long-do-lice-live#life-span4

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:31 am

It's been one month--I dosed him with his second dose of Revolution on the 16th.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1