Oreo´s still not eating-constipation?

Deemarkel

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:31 pm

We took Oreo to a dentist/vet on Thursday 4/18. He found some points, and thought her back teeth MAY have been inhibiting her tongue. He fixed the problems (we hope). On Friday she was eating almost as much as she normally does. However on Saturday, she was eating less and now we are force feeding her again. She is not making normal pellets. When we called the vet on Monday he said she may be impacted and we should soak her rear in warm water and message her butt. We did and she did poop. She still is not eating much. We are still force feeding her, but she is really getting to hate it (and we are feeling helpless). We are going to another vet tomorrow (third one).
Everything we read says impaction is a problem with older males. Could she be constipated? What can we do?

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:38 pm

It´s hard to tell without seeing the pig, but after teeth trimings, they usually are in pain. Rimadyl or other pain killers are usually given. a pig in pain will refuse to it. As for the poop, it sounds to me like she is not eating enough. How many cc´s of slurry are you giving her? How often?

If your vet thought she was impacted, it tells me this vet knows squat and you´d better start looking for a good one now. Her tongue "may" have been cought? Yikes! A good vet needs to be able to tell.

Are you sure this vet trimmed the teeth right? I just don´t have a good feeling, here.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:34 pm

I agree with E. Usually, diagnoses of constipation are causes to find another vet. Herbivores are rarely, if ever, constipated. The likely cause of fewer poops is the lack of nutrition going in. You should be giving at least 30ccs daily of fluid and at least that much in Critical Care, pellet slurry, etc.

I have never heard of an impacted sow. Impaction generally occurs in older males when they accumulate feces and debris in their pouches and are unable, through grooming or lack of anal tone, to expel poops. Many experts believe that it is the soft feces that are normally reingested that cause the main problem.

I would also recommend pain relief. NSAIDS like carprofen (Rimadyl) are good, but I like more powerful narcotics when you are at this stage like Torb or even Buprenex. Valium is another good pain med that has some appetite stimulant properties. If you don´t get her eating again, this is a major, life-threatening problem. Often pigs refuse to eat when they´re in pain. Another option for GIT pain relief would be various steroids, but I would go for the narcotics, first. Simethecone infant gas drops can be purchased OTC and help immensely with bloated, gassy pigs (which usually goes hand-in-hand with anorexia).

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:47 pm

Do a search on teeth and malocclusion. I can´t tell you how many times vets have done a poor job due to inexperience. A second opinion from a cavy knowledgable vet experienced in teeth might be called for.

Animal dentistry site
http://www.avdonline.org/