Grace's medical thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks Sef. That makes sense.

I think she stopped the Oxbow supplement when the new stuff got here, but there may have been some overlap of having both in her system. I'll keep you posted on how she's doing on it. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we found something that helped pigs with inflammation of the bladder!!

Gracie's had been acting off since Brownie died - not coming out of her hut for food or piggie company. And she gets along fine with out new pig Emma. Daughter thought it might be depression, but thinks (and I agree) that most of it is due to discomfort and pain in her bladder.

One funny thing about the new pig introduction. For some reason the girls put Emma on the floor first with Grace. Emma was in Grace's face & Grace is a timid little soul. Then we added Carly who's not particularly aggressive, but isn't going to take second place to a much younger newby. Emma tried the same stuff with Carly & Carly was having none of it. A little threat nipping, chasing. So Emma knows who's boss and acts subordinate to Grace too! Funny pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:21 pm

I hope you can find something that will help with bladder inflammation too!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Between Dec. 1 & now Grace has lost 5 oz. She's at 2lb, 1oz now. The persistent weight loss started after she peed the large blood clots which I mentioned on the previous page. She occasionally gains a bit for a day but the trend is steadily downward. She's had 2 syringes of CC a day since the beginning of Dec. Otherwise she's eating normally - as much as the other pigs.

She's just been treated for a mild URI and had a recheck last Sat. Daughter thinks the glucosamine stuff is helping the bladder. Sometimes there's blood in her pee, sometimes not. She passed a small stone last week while daughter was feeding her. She makes pain sounds when she poops, but not when she pees. I don't understand that.

She's about 4yrs. 3mos. old. Any ideas about what to do about the weight loss?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:55 pm

Maybe try some shillintong too?

If you offer her a ball of CC on a plate, might she eat that? Otherwise, I'd try increasing the CC to see if she can at least maintain her weight.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:57 am

Ditto the handfeeding suggestion. That's probably the most efficient way to boost calories. My only concern is that I *think* CC contains calcium carbonate (need to pull out a packet and look). I generally try to avoid that ingredient, particularly in stone-prone pigs.

Do her poops seem dry?

Interesting that the Glucosamine seems to be helping. What formula did they end up trying?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm

She tried the Oxbow supplement first. When the stuff from England arrived we started that. I think you said it had glucosamine derived from animals? At first she thought that was working, but now she's not so sure. But it seems to me when she has Grace on a paper towel for her CC feeding,Grace has more instances of blood-free pee.

Daughter sometimes does an extra CC feed. No gain in weight, maintains a little better. One of us will have to step up to the plate to do the 3rd feed, cause daughter works. I have trouble getting Grace to take it. I guess it will have to be a joint project.

CC has both calcium chloride and calcium carbonate. I tried the CC meatballs but no go. We also tried mash which Pepper loved, but still no go.

Daughter is trying putting her in a separate cage several times a day when the other 2 are out eating & Grace should be. Grace has a tendency to back away when the other two are out.

She's near the bottom of a healthy weight. How worried should we be about this? Vet has no ideas other than extra CC. Daughter is a mess anxiety-wise. We're desperate - maybe we'll try shillintong. But really, we don't know if the weight loss is related to the stones & cystitis.

Sorry this is so long.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:08 am

I wonder if the weight loss could be due to renal insufficiency. It tends to look like a sort of gradual wasting away, though, as muscle mass is lost. The hip bones become very prominent in particular. That may not be the case here, but with her age and bladder issues it's something that came to mind.

She's already doing all the things I would suggest. When fed separately, does Grace eat more pellets?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 pm

Hard to tell about the pellets. I have been wondering if some of the weight loss is due to age & kidneys do tend to be a vulnerable organ for pigs. We were at the vet today for Carley & I asked about Grace's weight loss. He said her bladder pain could cause loss of appetite.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:42 pm

Oh definitely, pain can cause loss of appetite. I also wonder if the glucosamine could be affecting appetite.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Hadn't thought of that. However this has been going on since Nov. or so. I'll mention it to daughter.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 am

Once again, daughter thinks glucosamine stuff from England is helping. She upped the dose.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Oh good! Is Grace eating okay?