Dust Bunny's (Dusty's) Medical Thread

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Arrived here at 20 days old and 226 grams. Not aware of any medical problems so far. She has an appointment on the 18th to see the vet. I'm just anxious to announce her arrival, hahaha. As any parent is about announcing a new baby.

lisam

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Hey, I had a rabbit named Dust Bunny! Loved that boy.

Can't wait to see yours!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 pm

I love that name too! I have a little plush rabbit whose name is "Dust Bunny".

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm becoming very worried for Dusty. She won't eat anything but lettuce, hay and possibly some pellets. Not Parsley, Bell Pepper, Cucumber, etc. The only fresh veggie is lettuce. Even when I take her out away from Fuzz, she ignores ALL food.

Suggestions?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:16 pm

How is her weight doing?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 pm

She's up to 262 grams according to the vet's scales.

That said, the vet found she has a skin condition, probably fungal. She gave me some medication to put on the spots daily. She did the blue light test and doesn't think it's Ringworm, thank heavens. Then she did a skin scraping. That poor baby. I didn't realize that the vet was going to do one, and she did it out of the room. I could hear poor Dusty wheeking for what seemed an awful long time. I kept hoping it was a bird in another room, but when they brought her back to me, she was all bundled up in her blanket and the tech said "She's not a fan of that". Well duh. If I'd realized that they were going to do one of those, I'd have stopped them. Poor little girl. Naturally, they didn't find mites.

Because of the way I hold her (trying to keep her from jumping out of my hands) I hadn't noticed the spots on her. You can bet I'll be working on others ways so I can do a real exam from now on. By the time she's recovered, we should have a working agreement on what to do and not do. Dang, she's fast!

The medication is Gentizol Topical 15 gm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:42 pm

It sounds like gentizol is an "antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal ointment." Looks like it should cover most issues!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am

Dusty"s spots are healing well, except for the one on her nose, it's being stubborn and is either growing or is just larger than I thought. She was treated with Revolution in case of mites.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am

Dusty is almost completely recovered from the fungal infection. I can still see some small spots on the back of her ears, and behind them, but everything else has hair almost completely covering it, and the hair is about the same length of the surrounding areas, too. There is one spot on her hiney that is still short. I continue to treat it, but only to "be safe". Also, the skin on her nose where the infection was worst is still dark, so I continue to treat that area also.

It's so good to see her in her normal, healthy state. I'd forgotten how pretty she is. She's still the fastest pig in the cage, but once I have her in my arms she settles down and even looks around as if to see what is going on around her. I'm crazy about her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 pm

So glad to hear she is recovering!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 am

So glad to hear she is getting better! And so glad to see she is bringing you joy after a terrible time you had lately. Hoping the rest of the spots go away real soon. Cuddle from us, nasty vet!