Baileys Medical Thread

Kaylee

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi guys!

My pig Bailey is having issues with an eye. During Christmas I was visiting family, and a colleague was babysitting the boys. When I got them back on 28th of December in the evening, I noticed Baileys left eye was slightly red in the corner, and next day I took him to the vet. She dripped a yellow liquid in his eye and said she couldn't see any damage done, but that he had an infection. So I got a prescription for eye drops (Isathal Vet 1%) and was told to drip his eyes (both, in case he transferred the infection to the other eye while grooming) twice a day until it was fine, and then for two more days. But it doesn't seem to improve?

This was taken a few hours after visiting the vet:

This was two days ago:

It still hasn't changed (but he is being a pain and it's impossible to get a clear, sharp picture of his eye today). He is acting normal, eating and sleeping and popcorning. His weight has been between about 1230 grams and 1280 grams. Poops look normal. The only times I've seen him scratch his eye is after I've treated it. I'm going back to the vet tomorrow. Any ideas what this might be?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:33 pm

We can't see your pictures.

Kaylee

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm

...oh snap. I don't know what to do then, I can see them just fine. I've uploaded them to photobucket, maybe there's an issue there... I'll put up links to dropbox.

Here's the pic from 29th of December: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0semzgcu6zxr9 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Here's the pic from 15th of January: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j23y44v2ji5wf ... e.jpg?dl=0

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Here's a crop of your pics. Perhaps a prolapsed gland?

Kaylee

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Thank you so much Lynx!

I went back to the vet yesterday. They wanted to check if there was anything stuck underneath the red "flap", so they put him under anesthesia to be able to flush his eye. They didn't find anything, but removed the flap. I'm not sure exactly what they did or what they think it was, I didn't get to speak to the vet myself because my boyfriend picked him up and he didn't remember the info they gave him. From what I've gathered they suspected that something might have poked him, so a gland got infected or inflamed, and when it swelled it sort of popped out and didn't retract back inside (is that perhaps what happens when a gland prolapses?)

He seems okay, but is slightly calmer than usual, and while he is still interested in food he doesn't go crazy like he usually does. They forgot to make a prescription for metacam yesterday, I called today and got it and just gave him his first dose, and I also supplement with CC. We're gonna continue with the eye drops for about 5 more days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:39 pm

I hope things clear up well!

Kaylee

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

Thank you! It looks like it's gonna heal up very well :)