Lethargic

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi,

I’m worried about Fran. She is around 4yo and we got her from a neighbor a few weeks before Christmas. She’s been totally fine until this evening. Even tonight she ate dinner normally and ate hay. Just now I noticed she’s in her house and hasn’t come out in a bit. She’s laying all stretched out and her head laid to the side. I got her out and her eyes are fine, her belly is soft, she didn’t seem uncomfortable.

Is it possible she’s just tired and sleepy? I’m not sure what could be wrong so quickly. Again, I only noticed this late tonight, could it just be that she wants to sleep? She usually spends more time at the hay rack with Amy at night, so I’m worried.

Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 pm

I'd watch her carefully, but it doesn't sound too worrisome to me.

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 pm

She refused her treat, seems a little puffy. But she pooped 5-6 poos. :-/

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Do you have any infant simethicone? Or can you get some tonight? It might be a good idea to give her 1/4 - 1/2 of an infant dose.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 am

I just gave her some and rubbed her tummy for a little bit. Should I get up and give her more in the night?

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:13 am

I woke up in the middle the night and she was eating hay. That allowed me to sleep better!

I gave her another dose this morning and rubbed her stomach (it was gurgling). But she’s been eating hay and pellets this morning and I gave her some red leaf lettuce, she ate that too. She seems fine today, thank goodness, I think it was just a tummy ache. I’ll just keep an eye on her!

As always, thanks for your replies!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:58 pm

I believe a gurgling stomach is typically a good sign, as it means things are moving along in the GI tract. Though I suppose if it's particularly loud it could mean she's gassier than normal. Glad to hear that she's looking better! It's always scary to see them looking unwell when you don't know why.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm

This can be Fran's thread for future questions about her in the med forum.

I would also start weighing her daily right now so you can keep track of her and be alerted to any developing medical issue.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi there,

So Fran is still really fat. I haven’t worried (much) but I wonder if it’s normal. We’ve had her a year now, she’s over 5 yo. She gained about a pound in the six months after we got her!! She is over 3lbs! 😮She loves to eat but we don’t over feed. Amy, her cage mate, always weighs right around the same.

She is very pear shaped, you would think she’s pregnant but she’s not and no way she is.

She seems happy, acts normally, but I still worry some that there’s an underlying thing like cysts. She has no hair loss or crusty nipples.

Should I worry?

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 pm

I don’t know how to link the two but here’s a previous post about her weight.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=76188

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Every sow I've had has weighed over three pounds except one, and she teetered on the edge of it all the time. I never thought any of them were overweight.

And I've got the most pregnant-looking non-pregnant pig you ever saw.

marlenes mom

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:01 am

Thanks bpatters! That makes me feel better! :-)