Guinea pig losing fur and messy bottom

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:10 am

I am so sorry to hear this. I know you will miss her. You have all our sympathy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Oh no, I am just so sorry. You did so much to try to help her, and I know how painful this must be.

My very deepest sympathies.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Sorry to hear you lost her.

RIP Butterscotch

amyfw

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone. I am so heartbroken. I can’t believe how much it hurts actually. Everything reminds me of her, and since her son is still with us (thankfully) I see him and it reminds me of her even more.

I spent so many hours with her a day feeding her and everything that I have a huge hole in my heart the size of a piggy. I will miss her so much. May she Rest In Peace.

amyfw

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Does anyone know how piggy’s do when they are solitary? Now that his mama is gone, How do I keep him entertained and busy and loved and get him the (mostly I wanted) attention he may need?

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Lap time and cuddles.
Some interesting toys.
Just sitting by the cage talking to him and petting him (if he will let you)
Hand Feeding him veggies or treats.

It may sound odd but with ours when they are out for floor time I will sometimes lay down on the floor while they run around and sniff me. I also found that if I pretended to sleep next to them in their hidey then they would lay down and sleep as well although I suspect that some of them were faking it.

I still miss our MuMu who we lost almost 2 years ago.

amyfw

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Thank you for this. He is an aloof sort of guy ( was “feral” when he was rescued but warmed up to me a little when I had to hand feed him for a month when he almost died from bloat due to a tooth root abscess. ) so he’s not big on humans but he does like to eat next to me while I would force feed his mama so now he’s used to only eating when I sit by him. Oh dear.

amyfw

Post   » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 pm

And that’s not weird. I always lay down and let them sniff me too. I did that with rabbits I had as a teen too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:30 am

I'm so sorry you lost Butterscotch, you went through so much together. It will be a comfort to have her son to care for. In addition to rjespicer's good advice, it may help to rearrange the cage so he has something new to explore. I have a single female and have music on during the day, and she's in a high traffic area so there's plenty for her to keep track of. I have a couple of treat balls that I put pellets in and chopped veggies so she has something to do instead of just eating.

Take care of yourself and your little guy.

amyfw

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Ooh, I like the treat ball idea. I’m glad to hear he may be ok without his mama. He got used to sitting next to me while I had his mama in my lap and syringe fed her so today I went up at the same medication and feeding times and he comes over and I sit there and he munches. He doesn’t like me to touch him but at least he has company. I think I’ll have two cages for him. One downstairs where he can be with us during the day and the main 4’x4’ one for during the night in my bedroom.

How can I tell if he is struggling? He’s eating with me when I sit by him but he doesn’t like cuddles or pets so he is not getting any physical contact. He liked sleeping away from his mom but I also think he did t mind as much as he pretended when she would squeeze in next to him.

He also always relied on her for protection so with her gone I notice he seems much more nervous about things (he is very skittish) and usually she would remain calm and continuing eating through whatever noise he thought he heard which would allow him to calm down and come back over to eat as well.

In other words, without her to alert him to danger and calm him down, he seems less able to relax and seems on guard all the time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Have you tried a stuffed animal with him? From your description, it might help.

Monitoring weigh closely will help tell you how he's doing.

amyfw

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 pm

I bought a pair of stuffed animals that look almost like them. I buried the one like him with Butterscotch this morning and have the one that looks like him for his cage.

I just hope he is not lonely. I’m sure he has to be but whether he would want someone new or not I can’t tell.