Twinkle tumors or what?

MelissaM

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 am

We have a new baby cavy. We bought her from PetsMart a couple weeks ago. She was alone in the cage. We brought her home and she was sneezing with green discharge from her nose that night, but was fine by morning (with no other URI sx since). Meanwhile, I noticed a tiny hard bit of skin, like a scab, on her neck. I couldn't see it, only feel it, because it was small and she is furry. It was still there before I went out of town Friday morning, and I wondered why, and thought it might be a tiny bit bigger, but it was otherwise un-noteworthy. I got home yesterday, but didn't handle her. This morning my little guy came running in to my room worried about the big boo boo on her head, saying the "other thing" (scabbed area that he had noticed, too) was big, too, and it wasn't like that last night. He is a good "guinea pig Dad", and now is rightfully worried... me, too. The neck growth is about the size of a small child's fingernail and the scalp growth is slightly smaller than a dime. They are both deep red, raised, dry in appearance and don't appear to be painful.
Her name is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (aka: Twinkle), and my little guy is VERY attached - he was "in love" from the second he saw her, none of the other piggies would do.
...i have pictures... our small animal vet isn't open yet...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 am

If your pictures are clear and crisp, you can send one or two to me to post:

Offhand your description does not bring anything to mind.

MelissaM

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 am

Here you are. They look like scabs, which could be from an injury at the pet store. Mites or a fungal infection might be involved but without a thorough exam, no idea.

Meanwhile read over and examine your guinea pig for dandruff and/or scratching:
mites.html
fungus.html

MelissaM

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am

Thank you for the picture share and links.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 am

First, in case you don't know, small animal vets are trained in the care of dogs and cats, not pocket pets. You need to find an exotic vet to treat your cavy.

Second, do you see her scratching at the area? Is she housed with another pig?

MelissaM

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Our only exotic pet vet is out sick until Thursday. He cancelled her 4pm appt :'(
She is single, and I haven't seen her scratching, but I suspect that is what happened. One lump has dislodged, leaving raw skin and the other looks very much like a scab now. And she has crusty / rough ear flap next to the areas. I suspect mites, but can't confirm or treat her myself (no meds at our pet store and only horse doses at Tractor Supply, and I'm not a vet LOL).
*sigh*
This was supposed to be a great easy pet for our autistic little boy

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Hang in there! Guinea pigs can indeed be wonderful pets.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:50 pm

You can order ivermectin from Amazon and treat yourself. They carry both .55 oral solution (which is put on the skin in guinea pigs), or 1% injectable (also applied on the skin). But it she has mites, you'd almost certainly have seen her scratching.

MelissaM

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Thank you!
I'm holding her and she sounds uncomfortable now, and she doesn't want her belly touched. She's eating her "magic poop", lounging on her side, had some celery and a nail trim, all after a coconut oil massage to the affected areas.
I will order the meds ASAP... any other skin care help would be greatly appreciated!

lisam

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm

I hate it when pet stores lead people to believe that guinea pigs are easy "starter" pets.

Once she's recovered, I'd consider adopting her a companion from a rescue.

I once had a pig that had a fungal issue that looked similar to scabs. It took quite awhile of an anti-fungal cream to clear it up.