4 year old female is squeaking when urinating

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 pm

She had a really bad UTI when we discovered the stones, and we were trying to get it cleared up before we operated. But she developed a perforated stomach ulcer and died before we could get the stones out.

duskern

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am

One of my girls have had this weird greenish coloured layer at the bottom of her lower teeth. I'm not sure what it is, or how long she has had it. I'm pretty sure she didn't have it last time I had her to the vet for problems with her teeth.

One of the bottom teeth broke off a little while ago. It broke, and she had an infection of some sort and stopped eating. I found out something was wrong pretty quickly and took her to the vet. They sedated her and removed the tooth that was broken off. Since then she has returned to normal, but the upper tooth, opposite the one that is missing, is of course a bit long at the moment. We are keeping watch, and hoping it will return to normal slowly as the bottom tooth returns.

Below is a couple of images showing what I'm trying to describe. The first on is taken a couple of days ago, the second one a couple of weeks ago. She is still eating and acting normal, and she talks a lot when I have her out for cuddling :)

Edit by Lynx: here are the "permanent" pics (closeups) [thanks!]:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am

The discoloration is likely due to the infection. If that has been successfully treated, it should grow out. Keep in mind that there may be another loss of the tooth and regrowth as it is establishing itself as a healthy tooth. I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html ? It has some information that should be helpful to you.

It appears there is only one upper incisor?

Your pictures are very clear. Let me know if you'd like them added permanently to your thread for future readers.

duskern

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Lynx wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am The discoloration is likely due to the infection. If that has been successfully treated, it should grow out. Keep in mind that there may be another loss of the tooth and regrowth as it is establishing itself as a healthy tooth. I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html ? It has some information that should be helpful to you.

It appears there is only one upper incisor?

Your pictures are very clear. Let me know if you'd like them added permanently to your thread for future readers.
I had actually not looked at the link you are referring to, but I have read it now. She is still doing fine, but not always wanting to eat her carrots. It's not uncommon for her to not eat them, but I always get suspicious when one of them doesn't want to eat something they are given.

Regarding her incisor, it is there, but probably not visible on the picture. I'm hoping that the length of her teeth will revert back to normal. Right now, her bite is not completely straight as it normally is.

It is totally fine to add the pictures permanently. All my pictures may be used as reference to help others. It just strikes me though, that this subject about teeth might not be fitting under the title of this thread :) Would it be better to make a new thread about this subject?

And now something regarding Abigail.

Today I noticed my girl Abigail not really biting into her cucumber as normal. Normally she more or less attacks it, eating 3cm x 3cm x 3cm in less than 10 minutes. I think it might be a broken tooth. I had her out and looked at her teeth, and they actually looked really nice, even though she had a broken of tooth not that long ago. Then I gently pressed my nail against each of the four front teeth, and the lower right one seemed to be a bit loose. She normally bites a bit hard into my fingers, when she wants to return to their cage, but today she was more gentle with her teeth. This tells me she might be feeling pain when biting. She is still eating the cucumbers and peppers that we give her, but it's more slowly and gentle. Besides that, she also still eats a lot of hay and pellets, and she seems totally fine when I cuddle her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:40 am

I added some crops of your pics to show the teeth better (I think the board software might be shrinking them to fit into the post).

You could well be correct about some pain related to Abigail's tooth. Sometimes with a broken tooth, it needs to grow out once or twice to stabilize (there can be injury to the root that is healing).

duskern

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:34 am

Do you think I should take her to the vet tomorrow? There's clearly something wrong with her teeth I think. She is still eating both pellets and hay, as well as some of the lighter vegtables like cucumber. I can tell she is being really careful when eating vegtables.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:12 pm

I would.

duskern

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

We ended up taking both Nellie and Abigail to the vet. They both have some issues related to their teeth. They are getting their teeth in question shortened a bit, and will be home again within the next hour or so. Also, Abigail did have a broken tooth like I thought :) Nothing really to be happy about, but I guess I'm not too bad at taking care of my furry girls :)

duskern

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Everything seems to be going fine with Abigail and Nellie, after having their teeth done. We also had the vet take a follow up x-ray of Abigail, to check her for stones. There was nothing to see :)

We have had a problem with Nellie making this weird snorting sound when breathing. It's on off most of the time, and we think it's related to dust in her nose, or something like that. That is the best explanation we have had for it. Our vet recommended us getting a water atomizer for spraying the saw dust in their cage, and their hay. Should help bind the dust or something like that. She recommended using demineralised water for some reason, and I forgot to ask her why.

Has anyone got any experience with something like this?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Why is there sawdust in the cage? You don't want them on wet bedding, or they'll wind up with bumblefoot.

Demineralized water can have less calcium in it, but don't use distilled water. You can use filtered water that you buy or filter yourself, or reverse osmosis water.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Ok bearing in mind I know nothing when I looked at the pics my first though was the green stuff I could see at the bottom of her mouth looked like a bit of finely sliced cucumber stuck in there. Or am I missing something? Bit of a novice here so just trying to work out what to look for with our 3 girls if they have issues.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:28 pm

Looks like some kind of food to me.