Bleeding Scab

Ne153

Post   » Fri May 18, 2018 12:35 am

I have two male Guinea Pigs. The new one developed what was mites. Think he came with it. My long haired pig lost a lot of hair. Took both to a vet. Both had an antibiotic shot and have been on Revolution. My one pig had scabs from picking, etc. Long haired pig, didn't get that bad. His hair is growing back, however, my other piggy has picked his scabs. What can I do for him, so the scabs can heal and not hurt him?

Oh, tried calling the vet. Terrible terrible vet. Must be upset that I bought my revolution online. He couldn't answer me on what to use.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 18, 2018 8:56 am

If it is a serious case of mites, the vet could give something to prevent the itching to help prevent biting and scratching at the scabs.

You can also do a body bandage. If they had a serious case of mites, treat multiple times. Both guinea pigs should be treated.
bandaging.html
mites.html
antiparasitics.html

Ne153

Post   » Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Both piggies just had their second dose of Revolution and will get a 3rd in just over a week.
The bandage seems like it's a good idea. Just might have to try that. The area is starting to scab back over and he actually let me pick him up fairly easily.... that's a good sign. He does have an appetite.

I have been doing a lot of reading and am worried that perhaps it's fungal..

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 12:24 am

You could always bathe him with antifungal shampoo like Nizoral. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html.

Ne153

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 12:34 pm

My one piggy scratched himself again and it's bleeding. I saw him in the process. My other pig is not scratching at all and his long hair is growing back. I bought the Nizoral Shampoo and had to use it. Seems like it soothed him a little. I actually held a cold wet clothes in the wound and he actually stopped fighting me when I did.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 pm

It sounds like you may still need to try the body bandage.

Ne153

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 1:08 pm

I think you just might be right. Have to go to the pharmacy anyway and will pick some up.