Ivermectin.

apricity

Post   » Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am

Hello.
I got my first pig ever on 25th of December. Since then, she has had health problems. After 3 days, her hair started to fall out. We took her to the vet, vet prescribed some kind of cream, we treated the bald, sore spots and everything was fine. But the scratching never stopped. The scratching is happening even until this day.
We took her to different vets, I know it is mange mites, because all these months she has been biting her sides, rear end, she has been shaking her head, squaking loudly and then having body spasms (sometimes when she tries to pee, it's impossible because it's itching so badly, also sometimes when she eats her body is spasming), she runs like crazy in her cage and jumps in the air, and then bites herself, and because of biting I know those are not zoomies or popcorning, sometimes she will let me pet her, but most of the time after the petting 1) she will scratch herself immediately and she will have body spasms 2) she won't let me pet her and she will chatter her teeth. So, the vet said she's perfectly healthy.. Because her skin is healthy now and when I told the vet that there are mites which are under the skin, he wouldn't believe me. I know she isn't healthy, she's in pain all the time. I begged the vet to prescribe ivermectin injections. He only gave 2 and refused to give more of them because we weren't getting any progress. (Even tho I read it can sometimes take even 3-4 doses until some little progress shows). I looked up for another vet, she only gave her extra amount of vitamin C and refused to give some ivermectin injections, because I told her after those previous two we had no progress, and I even told her sometimes it can take more time, but oh, since I'm just a human being, and not a veterinarian, she wouldn't believe me and she thought she's the smartest. I've given up on vets. A month ago I ordered Duramectin horse paste (1.87%) online, finally got it this Tuesday, and that's when I gave her her first dose of dilluted horse paste. I gave her the right dose, not too less, not too much.
My question is, will it be harmful for her if instead of 7 days, I will give her the next dose after 5 days? (Tomorrow) I was thinking maybe that would help her sleep, maybe she will be calmer, maybe the mites will finally start dying? Since this has been happening for months, it is a pretty severe case.
To mention, I know that is not a fungual infection because I have bathed her using Nizoral shampoo, it is also not the hay - I've changed to different hay. As bedding I'm using fleece.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am

Wait the full seven days. It takes the ivermectin a few days to start showing results, but you should see improvement shortly. You need four doses, each a week apart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Your post is hard to read because everything looks run together. Please add spaces between your paragraphs for us old folks!

Your vet is extremely irresponsible. If you read the whole page ( www.guinealynx.info/mites.html ) , you will see how often they are misdiagnosed by vets. As you note, mites need multiple treatments.

Horse paste is no longer recommended. We did years ago but it is difficult to dose properly and topical ivermectin is easily available (and reasonable). However, I see you are in Latvia. It sounds like products that are easier to measure and dose may not be as available to you.

Make sure you treat all your guinea pigs if you have any more.

apricity

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 1:20 am

I apologize for my post being so hard to read - this was my first time posting, I tried to make everything as perfect as I could. I would add spaces but I couldn't find the edit button for the post - again, I'm sorry, I'm still learning. :)

Horse paste was the only medicine I could get without vet - topical or injections are only available if vet prescribes them AND not the whole packaging, only some doses (like my vet gave me only 2).

Thank you for your replies, I will wait full 7 days.

Hopefully I will be able to treat her with the horse paste and finally get her a friend. :)