Dental problem

Blackeyepiggy

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 am

How much incisior length guinea pig must have?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 am

You posted in the wrong forum.

You also asked this on another thread:
My piggy also having a dental problem. Could you guys see his incisior because he can't pick up his veggies and eating only small pieces of veggies. Whenever I bring food for him he act like he is starving but then he didn't eat it. Any suggestions who experienced it. What to do
I want to post a picture I don't know how to do that because I'm new here and I'm not familiar with this.
I wrote:
Look over the teeth pages. The one about broken teeth has several images that will give you the idea of how long guinea pig teeth normally are.
www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html
www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html
You need to read each and every page above. Please keep all your questions about this guinea pig on this topic. If you start new topics, they will be locked.

Blackeyepiggy

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Is this product good for piggy for his stool problem because he is having mushy poop not hard one because my vet said give him veggies only but giving him only veggie will create this problem so to have more fiber in his diet and to make his stool harder I was planning to give him this instead of Critical care because here it's out of stock. So I'll give pellet slurry for him by using that
https://in.miscota.com/small-animals/beaphar/p-92861

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 5:22 pm

It looks ok if he needs a pellet slurry. But if he's eating hay and pellets, he doesn't particularly need a slurry.

Did the mushy poop clear up when you took him off veggies?

Blackeyepiggy

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes. That time he had hard stool but small in size because that time he was eating grass but now he is not eating any hard stuff

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 5:37 pm

If he's not eating hard stuff, the problem is very likely with his molars, not his incisors, and you need to find a vet with rodent dentistry experience. Your pig may have overgrown molars, elongated roots, one or more abscessed teeth, or a problem with the jaw. It is nothing you can fix yourself, and it cannot be fixed with food.

If you're feeding a lot of soft stuff, like veggies, he may have come to prefer the veggies to the hay. I'd feed him only hay and pellets for a few days but weigh him daily, preferably in the morning before breakfast. If he's not eating enough to sustain his weight, get him to a good vet ASAP.

Blackeyepiggy

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 am

Do you know the process of elongated root. When I go to the animal dentist i would have an idea what he would do if he have that problem. How much I know from internet he would suggest to go for an x-ray and then if he find elongated root then he would trim that tooth. Am I right ?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 am

Did you read this page?
https://www.guinealynx.info/elongated_roots.html

You would look for a veterinary dentist who had experience with guinea pig teeth.

Blackeyepiggy

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 am

Yes i did. But I can't find out how to see upper elongated root in this x-ray which is shown in that page. My dental vet is not specialized with rodent. When I asked him could you see my piggy molars he said check only cat and dog but there is no problem of seeing a guinea pig so that's why I am asking you to tell me how to see elongated root in an x-ray if I find out that problem then I'll tell him to trim that molar into 30 degree. Is that the solution of elongated root ?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm

There's no good solution to elongated roots. That problem requires repeated planing of the molars to decrease the pain the pig feels when grinding food with the molars. Few pigs can stand the stress of repeated anesthesia, and few owners can stand the stress of the expense.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Your veterinarian could consult with a veterinary dentist by email if your vet has a good xray of the teeth. The teeth pages list contact information for veterinary dentists.

If your vet could get hold of "Practical Veterinary Dental Radiography" by Brook A. Niemiec, Jerzy Gawor DVM, and Vladimír Jekl

There is a section by Vladimír Jekl on guinea pigs that might be helpful (unsure).

Blackeyepiggy

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 am

If I post a x-ray here. Is there anyone who can tell the problem because there is only one dentist here who operate in dog and cat so he said he can trim his teeth but he can't tell what problem he is having.