First time dealing with pig operation, any advice and encouragement welcome

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Flavor it with a little something he likes. I've never had a pig turn down water with some watermelon juice in it.

Catt of the Garage

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I'll try that, thanks.

4lilPigs

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 pm

I mix flavorless Pedilyte with their water when they are ill to get them to drink and it is like piggie crack to them!! Although the watermelon juice definitely sounds tastier!

Catt of the Garage

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Tried a dash of watermelon juice in the syringe of water and he went mad for it. Is it worth putting a little in the actual drinking bottle? I was thinking of juicing this melon and freezing it as cubes, then sticking a cube in when I fill the water bottle in the morning. But he loves it so much I am a little nervous in case he drinks TOO much!

Catt of the Garage

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Also, should I be concerned about the diuretic effect? Watermelon makes me pee like crazy. But perhaps that is a good thing when trying to avoid bladder stones?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:18 pm

I'd worry about mold in the water. But if you change it twice a day, it should be ok.

And no, I wouldn't worry about the diuretic effect. More pee is better.

Catt of the Garage

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:18 am

Ginger has developed another stone. Really frustrated and worried about the future
He was just at a good stage of recovery, doing really well and back to his normal weight when he started making sore noises again.

So back to surgery he goes. Vet is trying to find any solution to stop this happening again but so far has found nothing in research but the usual - low calcium diet, lots of fluids.

Just how many times is it reasonable to put a little animal like this through surgery? He's a tough pig but if it's going to go on at this rate, it seems a bit much. But he's such a lovely pig and he's only three.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:07 am

I'm sorry.

Some pigs will develop stones no matter what. We've got one person on the board that had a pig develop stones again less than a week after surgery.

Most vets that I know of aren't willing to do more than two, possibly three cystotomies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Can you review his diet again? I am so sorry you are seeing/suspecting stones again.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:33 pm

So sorry to hear this. I've been in the same boat too where my boar started forming a new stone not long after having one removed. He's had two surgeries, but our vet said she wouldn't automatically exclude a third down the line. As a last ditch effort we tried Renavive, and we have been 1 year and 4 months since his second surgery. I have no idea if it's the Renavive, or just dumb luck because his diet hasn't changed, but we're sticking with it just in case. If you're interested you can read more here: http://guinealynx.com/forums/viewtopic. ... f#p2279423

Catt of the Garage

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply. We'll see what the vet says after this one but yes, if it recurs, we may have to make some tough decisions.

We are going to try putting him on a pellet-free diet to try and increase the ratio of water in his food. He does not like to drink, and loves pellets, so I suspect the pellets are allowing him to get his calories without the necessary water he would get if he was eating more veg. Also considering replacing some of his hay with fresh grass for the same reason.

Main problem is how to implement these changes without harming his cage mate, who tends to be lighter. I worry he will struggle to keep weight on without pellets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:40 am

Oh, suggestion here: some people soak hay in water then give it to their guinea pigs (they like it a lot). You would need to remove uneaten hay in an hour or two? Just avoid leaving it there to get moldy. This adds water and makes the hay more palatable.