Very bad URI - help with diuretic dosage

Prasiddha

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi friends,

My guinea pig fluffy had unexpected back to back pregnancy which made her a weak and sick piggy. I love her so much. She was initial prescribed for Septran (Bactrim) for congestion 10 days back. Due to these unexpected pregnancies her weight is also very low. Only 520 GMs for her age (10 months). Since her first pregnancy was due to Missexing my piggies and also she was with her husband during her first labour she had to face these two pregnancies. Poor piggy.

She is already taking 0.315 ml twice a day of septran (baby suspension) past 10 days. She initially had improvement but deteriorated. Now she is having cracking noises while breathing, laboured breath, she is all fluffed up , looks sick and also stopped nursing her pups. Her eyes and nose have no discharge. She eats, drinks, poops and pees normal. I took her to the vet and he said give her diuretic - 2 or 3 dosages of 5 mg each time. If she is better already he asked me to stop with two dosage. But since she weighs only 520 GMs I was concerned if the dosage was high. Also is 2 or 3 dosages too much? I searched every where for 20 mg frusemide (lasix) but I got only 40 mg tablet form. Please please help. I need to give the dosage now. Also how to give her a tablet form ... I am not ready to loss her... feeling miserable. It is humid here in India so the vet felt a diuretic will show difference in her. Please advise needed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Why did the vet prescribe a diuretic? Did he take an xray and find lots of fluid in her lungs? Are you hand feeding her?

I would think extra fluids would help. If she has a URI, Bactrim may not be the best choice. Ideally the vet would identify the bacteria present and use an antibiotic that would target that bacteria.

If it is really hot, I would try to have cool water bottles laying nearby that she could rest against. It sounds like she is very ill. I wish I had better advice for you.

You need to weigh daily and hand feed if needed. She sounds ill enough that it may look like she is eating, but she is not getting enough food.

Prasiddha

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 pm

He did take test of the fluid initially and wanted to prescribe baytril but since she is already weak and underweight due to her back to back pregnancy he suggested me giving her Bactrim instead. He also felt since she is nursing her pups he didn't want her to take baytril. Also at the time of prescribing Bactrim she way having very little congestion in her x ray. She was recovering pretty fast, but last two days she started deteriorating. Now the lung is full of fluid. He suspects humidity and lack of immunity to be the reason to make her so ill. She is still eating a lot. I put her in the vet cage alone now. She was eating her usual self. Just that she is weak to walk around like before. Since there is fluid in her lungs and he also suspects that her heart pulmonary could also be congested. In the x ray he says the heart issue wasn't so clear due to fluid, so he though to clear up the fluid by giving diuretic. But I got hold of only Lasix 40 mg tablet, so I was concerned with her dosage since she weighs only 520 GMs. Please help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 pm

There is a range of doses. You may find something helpful doing a search of the forums or here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/cardiovascular_agents.html

I do not believe the humidity has caused excess fluids. There are also complications from pregnancy that can cause some of these issues.

Prasiddha

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Thank you lynx