HELP!!! Malpractice or not?

Janel1880

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:01 am

Hello all. This is my first post. We currently have 4 sows all adoptions. Our American satin piggie Reeses developed a UTI a few months back. We took her to the vet who prescribed antibiotics. After 2 days she wasn't eating much & developed fever we took her back to the vet who suggested an overnight stay. We were able to pick her up next day. When we got in we noticed she still had the compression tape on her paw which seemed really tight. We removed and notified the vet. Over the next few days the swelling in the paw was still there however as day's passed the vet reassured us it would return to normal. Many medications & visits later her paw lost function below the wrist. It eventually became necrotic and hard, complete loss of function. The vet reassured it was normal & just needed time to heal. Today we came home to find the wrist had completely fallen off!!!!!!!! I'm devastated and angry. My poor pig had gone through so much. What now? How do I care for her paw? Thanks in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Your vet absolutely did not listen to you. Why was compression tape applied to the paw in the first place? Was there pododermatitis?

I had an incident where a toe fell off following a rough debridement of my guinea pig who had pododermatitis. (slowly dried up and fell off)

Contact the vet. Note if the guinea pig is walking on the remaining stump. Note if the healing is clean. When an amputation is done, for example, often it is further up the appendage so the guinea pig does not walk on it and irritate the stump.

Janel1880

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Unfortunately the paw came off at the wrist joint so it doesn't really touch the floor at all. As for the compression tape (same as used when we donate blood) it was to stop bleeding after the catheter was removed during her overnight stay. I'm hurt and angry we trusted them with her care only for her foot to come off. I looked into suing them however in NY pets are considered property. It would most likely end up in small claims court.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 pm

I understand how upsetting this is. What explanation did your vet have?

Janel1880

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:35 pm

After expressing our concerns & disappointments regarding this situation obviously had been caused while in their care, the vet reiterated the situation, offered to continue any required treatments free of charge. I'm thankful Reeses is alive. I'm sad she won't be able to jump & run during floor time.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:34 pm

I don't know how old Reeses is, but she may still learn to adapt to that missing foot.

Janel1880

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 pm

She's almost 2years old now. She adapted very well so far. We paid almost $2000 for all the treatment they should've taken responsibility or adjusted the balance. This happened during the overnight stay in their care. All the vet says is this has never happened to another animal.