Worst Guinea Pig carer in the world or the unluckiest?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Years ago she led a picture and chocolate giftathon for me. I have cut back on chocolate and will only look at the stuff that is "good" for you these days.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:16 am

Sorry Bookfan, I guess I didn't refresh and didn't see your message earlier! That is a good idea, I didn't realize they made special potty pads! I don't know why I didn't think of it, I've baught bottlle drip pads for the same concept. *facepalm* I'd much rather have something like that that I can do in a quicker hot wash for daily washing, then only have to do the GuineaDad soak 1-2x a week! With the setup I have for her cage, she'd probably be able to burrow some, but honestly using them couldn't hurt. Any improvement would be greatly appreciated at this point!

rjespicer, I do the pre-soak as well, it's the only way they seem to really come clean on the cold to me. That is one thing I wish I had thought about before investing in so many GuineaDads...I don't love the idea of not being able to run it through hot water. It's probably a mental thing, but it just feels like it's so much more sanitizing if they can get washed on hot water!

Now that I know about the potty pads, maybe I can help cut down on continuous cycles of cage liner laundry. Thank you all for all the information! It's greatly appreciated!

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Lynx, as my Nan used to say " A little of what you fancy does you good". She woudl have cream, butter, Chocolate, Full fat milk etc and lived to the ripe old age of

The ones Windespirit make can be warm washed. The ones we got from GPMarket can be hot washed but are 2-3 times the price for the potty pads.

If I had the time and could remember what I was taught by my Nan and Mum and in Home Ec lessons at school I would probably try making my own. I havent used a sewing machine in years and I am not hand sewing them ;)

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 pm

A bit too quick on the submit button, I meant to say "Ripe old age of 90" although she might have made it to 100 if she had cut back on what she called her "Naughties"

Samurai

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 pm

How do you post a new thread on this website? I’m brand new and need advice but can’t figure it out.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Go to the forum you want to post in and scroll down to the bottom of the thread list and it is a button on the left

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:58 pm

Yeah, it isn't obvious. I tried to change the location but the new software is inscrutable.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:09 am

rjspicer, my Grandmother used to say, everything in moderation. She lived into her 90s also. What she loved most was the butter and cream from over in your original neck of the woods, the British Isles.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Veering a little of topic GPIG but yep I can understand that, especially Clotted Cream.

Fortunately I have found several places out here I can get British foods including a place in Buffalo NY that will ship me Fish and Chips, Pies and Pasties.

GreysGuineaPigs the Guineadad website now suggests a 2 hour soak, with vinegar, once a month to try and shift any dried pee that is locked in to the absorbent core. That seem to help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 pm

And here I thought Pasties were something to wear ;-)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 am

@ Lynx: (R)olling (O)n (F)loor (L)aughing (M)y (A)** (O)ff.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:33 pm

When I worked in manufacturing we had to wear ear plugs and we’d hang them around our necks by the cord. We went out for lunch one day and my coworker was embarrassed when a Subway sandwich maker asked if those were pasties. What was worse was my coworker didn’t know what pasties were so I had to explain!