Chronic Urinary Tract Infection

Jenn G

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 pm

I have a male 13 month old teddy. He has had UTI’s frequently. We have been to the vet multiple times. He has been on multiple courses of baytril with metacam, and is now on Bactrum with metacam. Every time we do antibiotics we also do bene bac. We have also done X-rays to rule out stones. I am looking for any suggestions that may help him.

Also we switched foods to oxbow organic about a month and a half ago. I have noticed he is slowly losing a little weight. He has gone from 2lbs 14oz to 2lbs 11oz. My vet thinks it is due to the better quality food. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. Thank you

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 pm

The weight loss could definitely be due to different pellets. What were you feeding him before?

I'd see if the Bactrim helps the UTI. It's more effective against the organisms that commonly cause UTI's than Baytril is. How long has he been on it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 pm

I second Bactrim. Did the vet see any signs of sludge in the bladder?

Jenn G

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 pm

I was feeding an Alfalfa based pellet per the recommendation of the breeder. He has been on the bactrim just shy of two weeks and we did two 4 day courses of metacam. My vet wants to do a 4 week course at 1/2 pill crushed into 15ml applesauce given at .5 twice a day. He did not mention sludge, just blood and bacteria. Thanks again for the help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:44 pm

Alfalfa has waay too much calcium for an adult pig. Pups should be taken off alfalfa completely when they reach six months of age, and restricted to 1/8 cup of a good quality timothy pellet per day. The fact that he's been on alfalfa pellets and is now on timothy could certainly account for a slow weight loss.

Are you seeing an exotic vet?

Jenn G

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:38 am

Yes we are seeing an exotic vet. Being in upstate NY limits the options available not only for vets but also supplies. I brought my babies home at 4 weeks of age and followed the breeders advice only to find out she may not be as knowledgeable as I once thought. Right now I am mixing the regular adult oxbow and the organic oxbow because the organic has a lot of ingredients my vet thought might help. He also gets an oxbow vitamin c tab and an oxbow urinary support tab once a day. Thanks

Jenn G

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 pm

So we are still dealing with the UTI issues. Symptoms seem to happen every two months or so. We have had him on Bactria for roughly 6 weeks only for him to start symptoms while still on the meds. We have done 4 more X-rays, ultrasound, and a sterile urinalysis. Due to the results of the urinalysis, the vet suggested rotating between baytril and Bactrim every other week for 4 weeks. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Is the pee checked each time for bacteria? (in other words, is there a definitive diagnosis?)

You might want to check out the links on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=21

amyfw

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Jenn, if you live in upstate NY that means you are near(ish) Cornell in Ithaca Ny, the 2nd best vet hospital in the world. They have an exotics department. They often are booked out but can consult on the phone with you or your vet and can get you a plan in place while you wait for your appointment.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Also, vet right outside Albany, NY: Dr. Holly Cheever at The Village Animal Clinic in Voorheesville, NY. Very knowledgeable about guinea pigs and has had many guinea pigs of her own. She’s also very kind.