Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am

That is true. A good surgeon would remove it in its entirety (like they would with an abscess pocket) so all the margins are removed and if it were, for example, cancerous, the risk ideally would be removed.

Your continued detailed monitoring of size is a good thing.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 am

16.9. 2019- 0,25x 0, 45 cm
29.11.2019 0,35 x 0,55 cm
10.12.2019 0,30 x 0,6
17.12.2019 0,30 x 0,6-weight 822g(his weight as adult pig vaires between 780-850g)
-Irie was beside himself when we were checking this so I decided we wont be visit vets this year anymore. It would be useless, cause he would kill the vets both:) if we would ask to try without anasthesia again, cause he really isnt in the mood-he knows stay, but find difficult when we practice and repeat few times, cause its so against his character. So it made him frustrated. He loves tricks..but he is really not into staying, he hates it. Even on demand.
So, this is not functioning too great..like stay..and he stays and look at me are you completely crazy or what with most priceless face expression:).
We finnished cbd and decided cause of no results to discontinue. We got benebac!!! :)
We Will measure it again on 30.12 and than on 14.1 and than we Will visit our vets to sort this out. I hope that Will be okay.
Irie was at vets four times in 2019 with ongoing infection(twice for x-rays and twice for skin fromation otherwise i went there alone to get ab for inhalation 6times, so i can safely say we did our best:)!

We wish all happy december!!
And we stabilized Ringo again..which is hard work at 15:)!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:43 am

Hy, dear pig friends of ours..
We have some question if anybody knows and is willing to answer, please:).
Lynx, do you maybe remember what medications your pig got after tumor removal and for how many days?

I read on this forum that you discontinue ABs if pigs have g.i. issues. So we can discontinue painkillers, cause he handles medications in stomach very bad if he would have issues, right?
We got benebac but I dont know if it has any effect on painkillers or just on ABs.

The evil one vet of ours(the good one was not present last time, very unluckily):) pointed out that he doesnt see the problems with Irie except (gas)anasthesia is very stresful. I watched on YouTube how that goes and it looks awful of course.

But stressful how?Can pig get heart attack due to stress or not..?

I am concerned as when Irie(like me, yeah)goes crazy :)… its just 100% if you know what I mean..:).

I also read that the problems with pigs and gas anasthesia is that they can just stop breathing. But I dont know how in reality how many pigs does actually stop breathing 5%, 15%??

How long does surgery usually take? For example tooth correcton? OR bladder stones? 30min or what?
Ringo s vet said they should remove tumor fairly quick as she knows i am gonna die if something goes off..

We re just collecting infromations as I know you re all so knowledgable..:)!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:22 am

Any surgery carries some degree of risk. Remind me, is this vet experienced with exotics and surgeries? If so, removal of this particular lump should be relatively straightforward.
So we can discontinue painkillers, cause he handles medications in stomach very bad if he would have issues, right?
We got benebac but I dont know if it has any effect on painkillers or just on ABs.
You can. Metacam is generally well-tolerated, though. You will need to gauge how much (if any) discomfort he's in once the lump has been removed.
I also read that the problems with pigs and gas anasthesia is that they can just stop breathing. But I dont know how in reality how many pigs does actually stop breathing 5%, 15%??
I don't have any numbers to give you, but again -- there is always some element of risk when anesthesia is used. The more skilled and experienced the vet and the anesthesiologist, the better the outcome. Also, length of the surgical procedure is a factor. The longer they're under, the greater the risk of complications from the anesthesia.
How long does surgery usually take? For example tooth correcton? OR bladder stones? 30min or what?
It greatly depends on the type of procedure, where it is located on the body, if there are any complicating issues once the vet gets into the procedure, etc. A very invasive surgery like bladder stone removal or a spay will take longer than a comparatively less-invasive procedure like removing a small surface lump. It also takes time to take vitals and administer the anesthesia at the start of the surgery, and then additional time wake up the patient afterwards and monitor. You can always ask the vet how long he anticipates that this will take from start to finish.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks, Sef, so much:)!! So we can discountinue if there would be problems,...

Yeah, they re the most experienced in Slovenia with about 15-20years of experience with thoose operations in exotic animals.
The other one operated (we call him the good one, cause he is kinder and was always helping us and adviced us over the phone and the one who wrote that he would have watch it and if its growing do something, otherwise let it be)-operated my other pig three times and the *evil* one one time, but they both work in the same clinic. They did a good job. We dont have any better clinic for exotics, here, so if i go elswhere it would be only to our damage. Ringos vet said too..that they re the most experienced.

We would visit them (in January) before any surgery and ask them everything-poor vets when we re coming after them;) and we Will write to you what they Will say.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:50 am

Sounds good. Keep us posted!

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:50 am

16.9. 2019- 0,25x 0, 45 cm
29.11.2019 0,35 x 0,55 cm
10.12.2019 0,30 x 0,6
17.12.2019 0,30 x 0,6
30.12.2019 0,30x 0,7
14.1. 2020

And yet it seems that let it be option is slowly drifting away.. We ll get another check in 14 days and than..
I am not impressed, he feels just brilliant, but hes having life-time infection and because of that he is having stuffed nose and guinea pigs have such a small nostryls and all that.. and we hate anesthesia.. or whatever. :(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:41 am

So, it is definitely not getting any smaller. Has it changed in appearance at all?

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:54 am

No, its getting larger and i would say it hurts him a bit if you touch it too much, cause he really doesnt like it. if it grow to 0,9 that is double size.

Whatever it is its growing iwouldnt say very fast, but fast enough.. Which is little wierd. Ringos tumor didnt grew a bit in one year and a half.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:54 am

It hasnt change in appearance at all

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:54 am

I'm going to put up your first picture again so anyone reading on this page can see what your guinea pig is dealing with.

So, from your measurements, is it getting taller or wider?

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Ok..
Its getting wider..
0,3 is height.
We ll do another check in 14 days and if it grew again we ll probably have to find sometime to visit vet next month anyway.
I would rather let it be, but if its growing this cant go on forever. Considering his age as well (4years, 2 months).
We ll have another try at opening it at home next week, but I highly doubt that would solve something.