Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:34 am

*sorry about some English spelling mistakes

*Now I am really in doubt. Even more. I ll ask else what they said. But as they re less experienced (vets) from other clinics, some are really good, but I dont really know how good in comparisation with Iries old vets.

And in this clinic now there are a lot of new people who just came out of school, now. It doesnt make a problem because they wont operate, but you know I am unhappy about it. One girl even didnt know a lot about pigs:(.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:56 am

We decided if I wont be able to talk to vet before 16.3. and get things straight Irie wont be operated. Maybe never. Its alright. Like Ringos vet said..dont complicate..if its not changing that much.. leave it be..

I called other vet for exotics and she also said they keep animals overnight. Very wierd.

If we cancel operation on 16., Irie is scheduled for very skilled dog dermatologist visit on 17.3.!:) and i ll ask finally if she thinks this iseven necessary to put out..if she said no..it Will stay. For sure. Even if its growing..After all its not growing that fast.

Thats all from us.:) I read on guinea lynx pigs can go without food for 6-12hours. Hope that is true, anyway. I always forcefeed pig if he stops eating every 2!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:55 am

Butrophanol is a pain killer, not anesthetic so they could be used together. I don't understand about the staying overnight either. I would push for taking home.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:07 am

Tnx, Lynx, so much, really.

Some assistant(but it aint she who decided said he would be operated in after noon..but she doesnt even know, cause the vet who Will operate know this)so I need to get him.

If I wont be able to(as I wrote there is chaos since the other vet left, there were two, equally experienced) I Will ask elswhere if i can get anywhere with good vet to be operated in the morning and left in the evening, of course.

Otherwise i Will let you know what dermatologist says on 17.3. Thanks again.

Are Metacam in liquid form and not in tablet(like Doxycyline)? Irie is intolerant in medication in tablet form that disolves in the water..it means too much i can ask you if i cant ask the vet..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:45 am

Metacam is a liquid.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 am

Tnx, Sef, respect.

We Will let you know about dermatology or if he goes on surgery(its scheduled on 16.3 as alternative dermatology visit is scheduled on 17.3) histology reports..

I&Irie are so grateful we *met* you all.. :). And for the help we got and are getting.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:46 am

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 am

thanks, Sef, of course I Will!

I Will try to get the vet or at least some accurate co-worker if Irie can be free to go home at the same day-if not canceling is in order.

However I read that Butrophanol can cause some sort of respiratory depression in humans with asthma(severe), Irie has of course as you know bordetella infection+some form of asthma(not severe, no trouble breathing, diagnosed after sounds from his lungs, and both vets said its not pneumonia is asthma). HE doesnt need medications for it.All of his life, even before infection.

Does anybody know something about it.
My friend is a pharmacist, she knows all ABs but she said.. sorry, really but you and Irie are so careful(but she also said hands down:)) about all the things that i cant really say how it Will effect guinea pig as I dont know enough about anesthesia and things..

And *our*vet is so not open to thoose kind of question is upsetting and more than that.
So if we wanna his help we need to research a lot of things on our own+i cant help it if other owners are so not interested what is happening with their pigs so only we re asking questions. But nevermind, we are used to it, by now.

If anybody has some informations about guinea pigs with asthma/bronhitis and risk of respiratory depression and butorphanol please write something.

We have to do the homework…:)soi can feel a bit better at least. Irie is eating food and not caring, luckily:).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 am

Butrophanol does need to be dosed very lightly in this case. Too much can indeed result in a "dopy" guinea pig. Read this:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=231

Talishan says regarding post operative care (in case you are given narcotics): "A word of caution: use as little narcotic as possible. Buprenorphine in particular is a powerful painkiller, but it can also have a very doping, somnolent effect. You want your pet to be as comfortable as possible, but not so zonked out that he or she doesn’t even want to move, much less eat or drink. If your pig is acting like a zombie, or is acting as if he or she is still fully sedated, reduce the amount of narcotic."

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks, Lynx. What Talishan wrote is very useful and i agree...

Because there are some chaos at Iries current vet..i also called some place else where is very kind(and its private clinic so its different)and experienced. Distance is half an hour, so:).
They say if i bring IRies here is absolutely no problem, if all goes well, they gladly send pigs home at evening, so:) We have some other option if we cancel and go to dermatologist and she recommend surgery, which is briliant news..

and i dont feel so hopless and dependend on one persons opinion and dont feel treated wierdly(but as i said IRies current vet is among two most experienced and other who was absolutely brilliant is not available since he left otherwise we would contact him, … )but yeah they re not so worried about people wishes, questions and they preferably keep animals on clinic it seems, they didnt, but now(but you could decline and i always declined in the past, i Will see if its working now this week)..so they watch them..its faculty clinic which is minus for animals, at least in my oppinion.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:09 pm

I hope all goes well with the surgery. Be sure to let us know!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:28 am

I wish you the best, Lisa12. Good to hear you have some options for vet clinics and treatment.