Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I am concerned because of baccterias.. i am a little crazy i know, but its true:)

Yeah, i know, its the same. But on this clinic where Irie went they do not use it on cats and dogs, cause they dont have it there at least i think. If you know what i mean. On private clinics where they have one vet for exotics they re all on the same equipments. Sorry my english is not half as good as yours.

I can always go there again and very politely ask for x-ray cause pig is still making sound when defecating mainly.and we all know this is not normal. MY sister said but its their job..well,yeah.. they re paid for that from national how do you say.. whatever. I ll insist but we ll se where we get. But Will all respect for knowledge and experience they have. thats why i wont have pigs anymore. Cause I cant function like that. Alternatives are other exotic vets who i am not sure they can x-ray the pig without anasthesia or hurting him(they should, but..)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:01 pm

I believe that depending on the size of the animal, a different amount of radiation might be used but they likely use the same machine.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks, Lynx:)!

I am calling some other exotic vet tomorrow morning if he is willing to do it without anasthesia or something else - in normal state. I ll ask for two views. I dont even care how much is the price...like really. Just please do it. Thoose vets IRie went to have really low prices, but i dont care much about it, if we cant solve the problems(they have 20EUR for another photo, but you can hardly get it). If we got results this week i ll happily update finally.

Other option i ask for x-rays on Ringos clinic. They dont have exotic vet, but maybe theywould let me hold him.. or if not i can show them how. Theyre very kind and always willing to help. I dont wanna bring him there cause of infections, but they re really close by(15min away) and they would do it anytime even at night in emergency. Once they gave me Reglan when Irie couldnt poop..they didnt charge me nothing and didnt even see the pig..just good luck -in the middle of the night:)and vet just waited on me..:) So we have some other options after all.

I noticed purple spot (fairly small) again in cage at morning. When he urinated on the floor nothing wrong was seen .. he drunk little water so he urinated little.I always check how much he drunk. So I just say-I ll call ..its pointless waiting. Even if the results Will be clear, maybe it wont be.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:28 am

Well, I think at this point you'd feel better if you could rule out stones, so I'd say yes -- worth the price to know for sure.

Good luck and let us know as soon as you hear something.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:25 am

The other vet for exotics said he wont do it without anasthesia, eh:(. So no luck for us.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 am

I am seriously thinking of bringing him to Ringosclinic oranother exotic vet who is willing to try todo an x-ray. He aint all that experienced but he Works for like7 or something years, so he aint that bad or Young either.

Just another stupid question maybe, but..can they x-ray pig in a box.. or did i see wrong??? How do you and your vets x-ray the pig...

Cause Ringo s vets would easily x-ray Irie in his box if that is possible or if he s eating the food he doesnt move anyway. We would see in photo if something is wrong or i can sent it to you and you to check as well:). I saw its usually seen on both views not just front. Like really if i call some Young vet now, he s really kind he would do it straight away, but he is a dog vet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 am

Our vet just gently restrains the guinea pig (or has a vet tech do it). We have never had anesthesia given for x-rays. I know some vets do it, but ours does not. And yes, two views (top and side) generally give the best chance at seeing a stone if it's there.

As bpatters points out in another thread, though, this is not heavy sedation -- it's just a "wiff" (as she aptly describes it), which is enough to provide a light sedation that calms the animal enough to get a good image.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am

Thanks we cant risk even a wiff with on going bordetella infection is its not 100%needed. I was hoping we ll manage to get someone to do it without it. One is..but as i said..he s not that experienced-so if i wanted him to do it i have to take risk all goes well.

If not else, we ll have to wait if he ll be crying more and than go back to our vets and said its not okay at all. I ll be as focused as it gets and ask for an x-ray and explanation why he is crying if stones Will be proven not to be a reason and not talk stupid stuff.

I puttoo much love, time and in the end money in the pig to just let it go. But yeah its a shame they re the only ones who know enough about pigs-other options are all worse bit of Freestyle. OF course we can use them and we Will if it wont be other option but i am not a fan. Another problem is others in Slovenia-they do not put enough time&money in pigs so I am kind of unusual as it gets, but I cant and wont solve gunnea pigs problems in our contrey. Even fighting for Irie is exausting enough..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am

That is an excellent video. Very creative use of a box as a quiet place to calm down so an xray can be taken. You can see how crisp their two xrays are - so much detail - easy to see stones if they are present.

Not sure eating food would give as good an xray because there are tiny movements involved in eating.

I wish you success.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:39 am

I contacted another vet, who already successfully operated the stones in 1h 10min drive away if we could do an x-ray. Its funny how Irie is urinating a lot than my sister say-he was making Quite the sounds in the morning-he doesnt have the stones-he was negative on everything by now..and i am just like but why he is crying...and she said go to his vets and tell them to find out why. Not what they cant do, damn...really.

Anyway. Maybe we ve Will finally have some luck with this one. This is last option - Iries vets(who werent prepared to do it last time), another exotic unexperienced vet(who would like to try, but i dont like the Word try, he said he usully doesnt do this without anasthesia), Ringos vets(who of course Will do it anytime, but we would have to somehow to maybe with your help transcript the results correctly) and than this forth option-maybe with this one goes well-i am waiting for an aswer. That s it. Our complicated life. But I Will choose one of thoose four options i aint gonna contact no one else. Its been enough

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks, Lynx, again! I am really looking for the best ofoption. At Ringos vets we Will try it with the box if they are up for it:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 am

This is a long topic. To recap, pain on urination can be a urinary tract infection (bacteria would be found in the urine), bladder stones (diagnosed via xray - can also be a concurrent urinary tract infection - stones are fairly common with the signs you are seeing) or interstitial cystitis. The last is undiagnosed pain that is generally helped somewhat with pain medication. Other causes are ruled out before interstitial cystitis is diagnosed. I think a link was put up to Tracis' Links Topic in the Records forum.