I think its time to say goodbye... any advice?

qbtol11

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi everyone,

My pig has had a plethora of medical problems. Its mostly been URI's that keep coming back, but this time I think its time to possibly let him go.

His issues started up again in early October. We had him on Bactrim for about two weeks, and he seemed alright again. Less than a month later, he started getting ill again. My vet prescribed more Bactrim, which i've been giving him day and night since Tuesday with no improvement.

He sounds horrible, his poops are hard, dry, and misshapen. He hasn't drunk any water besides what I give him while feeding critical care. He doesnt touch his hay either, and only eats small amounts of veggies along with some pellets.

I wake up in the middle of the night to hear him coughing and hacking, and sounding so horrible it makes my stomach turn. He is my baby and I don't want him to keep hurting like this. He's been on antibiotics for so long im sure that must also be taking a toll on him.

At this point I think I'm just preventing the inevitable. He's around 5 1/2 to 6 years old. I don't want him to suffer anymore.

If anyone had any advice it would be appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Your decision, of course, but I wouldn't let him go without trying something other than Bactrim. It's spectacularly unsuited to URIs, and is probably doing nothing at all. Baytril is the usual drug of choice, but Doxycycline can work, as can nebulized gentamycin.

If he's on Critical Care, he needs to have water or pedialyte syringed to him during the feedings and in between. You should be aiming to get 60-100 ccs of liquid in him per day as long as he's on antibiotics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Ditto bpatters. With repeated URIs, I would also consider a heart problem - which can be managed.
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

qbtol11

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 pm

We've also tried Baytril before and it helped, but only temporarily and then it came back again.

Ive explored the issue of a heart problem, but she did x-rays and scans, and she didn't find anything unusual.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 am

I'd get a second opinion from a different vet if it were me before taking that last step. 6 is getting up there, but it isn't ancient.

Whereabouts are you (closest major city)?

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=37&t=243

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 am

All of my piggies almost immediately grew to love unflavored pedialyte. I'd have to keep pushing away the ones who didn't really need it so the one who did could get it first. He'd drink 20 - 40 cc 3 times a day. After Peek got what he wanted, I let the other 2 finish off the syringe (or whatever was left). Peek kept this up for about 3 months (I think) until he crossed the Rainbow Bridge in his sleep (renal failure).

Ditto bpatters on trying other medications. And ditto Talishan on finding a second vet!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Ditto on getting a second opinion.