Is this Bumblefoot?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 10:21 pm

I've had the occasional plunger that eventually stopped plunging when the seal went kaput, but generally I can get quite a lot of use out of a single 1cc syringe. Wish I could think of the brand that I used to buy years ago that was heavy duty and practically indestructible, but it escapes me at the moment.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm

The syringe isn’t really “breaking” but the rubber plug eventually stops sliding and so the syringe is essentially broken. I get only a day or two of use out of each syringe before they gum up (and I yes I am washing them after each use).

It was taking me 30 minutes for each feed just for the syringing (I kept going as long as he was hungry) plus more time to feed him veggies as his top teeth were missing so he couldn’t pick them up. It was taking me 3 hours or more a day just to feed him plus prepping everything, plus his foot soaks and bandage changes. It was getting ridiculous. With him eating off a plate life is so much easier!

The topical going under his bandage is called Osurnia. It’s actually a medication for ear infections but has worked wonders. Halloween is now off oral meds and his foot looks amazing. I’ve had to wrap his back feet too though as he seems to be starting to get little sores on them too. They don’t appear infected yet but I’m treating them now before they do get infected. Halloween doesn’t seem to mind and never bothers with the bandages.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm

The vet returns in June so we’re booked in for his back teeth to be trimmed. In the mean time he’s eating the wet pellets really well and pooping up a storm so he’s ok to wait a few weeks

Hedra2

Post   » Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 pm

....make that all 4 feet need wrapping. They all have small sores on them which I don’t get because he’s on fleece bedding which is changed multiple times a day. With all four feet affected as well as his teeth issues, his bum needing to be cleaned out several times a day, and his inability to keep weight on, I’m thinking the end may be near for this poor piggie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 am

I am sorry to hear that.

I guess I would try to make sure you were using a very gentle detergent and that the fleece was thoroughly rinsed so the detergent did not aggravate the feet. But if all the feet are wrapped, I guess they won't contact the fleece any more.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 am

Oh no! Were you able to find that Lantiseptic product I mentioned? As I said, I've had good luck with it with our little disabled guy whose feet get red and irritated on occasion. I'd be interested to see if it might help.

Hedra2

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Oh I somehow missed that recommendation Sef, where do you get it? We’re using some soap the vet gave us (not sure what it is as it didn’t get labelled) but we will try anything. We aren’t ready to say goodbye yet and he’s doing ok for now so we’ll keep on for the time being.

Yeah with 4 wrapped feet it doesn’t matter about bedding atm but I will do a double rinse on his fleece .

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 pm

I order it online, on Amazon.com. It's this product. We were introduced to it when my husband was in hospital for several months and developed bedsores. It does an amazing job on skin, so I tried it on our little guy Sammy when he started having some redness on both back feet. Just a very thin layer is needed.

Hedra2

Post   » Sun May 19, 2019 12:54 am

Awesome thank you I will look into it.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Hmmm I wrote a post a few days ago but it seems to have gone missing. Even though I was making sure his feet were dry before wrapping ( and they were getting better for a bit) they started getting worse. I went to wipe his foot gently with s soapy gauze (soap from the vet) and a huge chunk of skin sloughed off and he started bleeding. Thankfully it stopped quickly but I’ve had to leave his feet unwrapped to dry out.

He’s soooooo messy! Trying to find some kind of Flatish dish he can’t club inside as he’s a total mess. Currently trying a porcelain soap fish lol

Hedra2

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 am

A soAp dish, not a fish

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 5:47 am

Little flat reptile dish could also work.