Baytril and appetite

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:01 am

Has anyone suggested giving her a probiotic supplement? Antibiotics tend to kill off the good bacteria in their stomach as well as cause appetite loss. I would ask to make sure it doesn't aggravate the stomach ulcers, but other than that, there's no downside to giving her some Bene-Bac or other probiotic.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

The probiotic isn't actually likely to do anything for stomach ulcers. The stomach is too acidic for most bacteria to grow there, and probiotics are designed to replenish the bacteria lower in the gut.

In fact, there's an argument that goes that probiotics are useless because they don't survive the acidic environment of the stomach to be able to do any good in the intestines. but there are plenty of us who disagree.

samim21

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 am

No probiotics but she also has not been on antibiotics for a few months. I don't think that will help the current situation since it doesn't seem to be a lower gut issue. Thank you for the suggestion though! She has been eating lettuce and started nibbling on cucumbers again so I think we are on the (very slow) upswing...