Persistent Ear Infection

tms8

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Hey guys, Golgi was doing much better and I took him off all his medications except the Baytril otic for his ear. Now a few days later he seems to be having abdominal pain and peeing more frequently (no pain while urinating). I'm wondering if this is a normal side effect of being off the medication especially the pain medication? He lost an ounce or two overnight.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Not sure. When you say abdominal pain, does he seem bloated? Or is he vocalizing when eliminating?

tms8

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:53 pm

I think it may be more stones. He is having pain while defecating. I’m not putting him through anything else so the only option now is to put him to sleep or put him back on the pain medications and antibiotic and see if it can buy him some time pain-free.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Unfortunately, it does sound like it. I'd have xrays done just to be sure of what you're dealing with, though. Have you noticed any sludge or blood in his urine?

tms8

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 pm

His urine has been a little bloody. I’ll make him an appointment for next week, but put him back on the medications in the meantime. Best case scenario it may just be the UTI reoccurring after taking him off the antibiotics.

tms8

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm

I've only given him one dose of TMZ/meloxicam and his painful vocalizations while urinating/defecating have disappeared. At this point I don't feel like paying $200 for an x-ray as I am not putting him through another surgery this soon after. If I am able to manage the pain whether it be a UTI or stones and he's eating/drinking/running around I'll just take my chances and keep an eye on him. If it was a few months/year down the line I'd reconsider another surgery, but his incision/feet/ear haven't even fully healed yet.

I have noticed his feces are quite moist with tips to them (the same as the person who recently posted). I'm wondering whether this may just be due to the medications he's been on..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 am

It seems like a good plan, tms8. We had a guinea pig who formed more stones unbelievably fast and, after two back-to-back stone surgeries, we opted just to keep him as comfortable as we could for as long as possible. If this is indeed another stone less than a month after surgery, I can very much understand your reluctance.

Just be aware that there is always a risk that a smaller stone might make its way into the urethra and become lodged there -- forming a blockage. We have had that happen, too. You will want to make sure he continues to urinate normally, and do watch for any signs of trouble such as sudden loss of appetite, lethargy, urine output reduced to a dribble, etc.

tms8

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:46 pm

Will do, thanks for the advice. It was weird as soon as he got one dose of the Meloxicam and TMZ there was no more pain/blood and his weight increased back to baseline. I'm bringing him to the vet next week to get longer-term refills.

Yes, I unfortunately had the stone blockage happen with his brother a couple years ago. It was so sudden, I ended up opting for euthanasia since he was no longer eating/drinking/moving and for some reason that time the surgery would have costed five grand (at the same place I just had it done for 2.5k...).

tms8

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:25 am

Hey guys, Golgi had some diarrhea the other night and his poops have been moist ever since the surgery. I noticed tonight that one of my other pigs feces were also moist. The only change to their diet I can think of is watermelon. My boyfriend buys a lot of watermelons in the summer and feeds them the rind. If I had to guess they get a 1.5inch chunk 3-4 times a week. Really only the rind not the red part. I’m wondering if this might explain it? I also know it’s quite hot even with the AC it can be close to 80 degrees so I’m not sure whether it’s dehydration?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 am

Dehydration typically presents with small, dry poops. The change in diet could be a factor. Try cutting back on it and see if it helps.

Do you have a fan that you could use to circulate air around the guinea pigs? (but not blow directly on them). 80F is quite warm; guinea pigs don't tolerate heat well. Also make sure that they have plenty of fresh, cool water available to them.

tms8

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Sorry for late reply. Yes, we keep a ceiling fan on with the AC, but it still never drops below 74ish. Golgi started having pain while defecating again so I brought him to the vet. The pain stopped again randomly and I'm just keeping him on the medications. The vet did a quick ultrasound and said she didn't see any stones, just some crystals. Phew. I've determined the odd feces might be attributed to diet as my other two are having it as well. I'm going to try reducing the watermelon and see if it helps.