Spencer's Abscess

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello. My 2 year old male Spencer had surgery two weeks ago to remove about abscess under his chin. It appeared overnight. XRays were done and it showed the abscess is not dental related. I was flushing it 3xs a day with saline..using silvadene cream, Orbax antibiotic and Metacam. Vet also put a biodegradable pad soaked in Baytril in the open hole. He does get Benebac too.

This week I felt a hard lump while flushing the hole..but the one vet said it was indurated tissue and that's fine. I insisted on an appointment with the director of medicine (vet who did the surgery). Needless to say...Spencer had a second surgery this Wednesday and now has a drain in. He said he couldn't get all of the abscess BC it's close to the vocal cords so he used silver nitrate sticks on it and put in the drain. I am still doing the same routine and awaiting the culture results. Spencer's first follow up is tomorrow.

Spencer's dealt with a few bouts of bloat before and has not pooped a lot. Vet checked..no blockages. I've been feeding him his CC every 2 hours (10-20cc each feeding) and he's eating veggies on his own. he gets his simethicone and Reglan every 8 hours. I also massage him..use a massage pad and keep him up and moving.

What else can I do to help him go? Also, I'm nervous about the abscess coming back AGAIN. When I flush it, there is no pus etc. I've been using a curved tip syringe.

Sorry for my book! Just a worried mama!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 pm

You are already doing everything I would have suggested: handfeeding, motility drug, massage, probiotics. Maybe push fluids as much as possible. Otherwise, I would advise giving your vet a call with your concern. They may want to add Cisapride to the regimen, as I *think* it and Reglan work on different parts of the digestive tract. But based on Spencer's other medical issues and past history with bloat, I'd want a vet to make that determination.

What do the poops look like that he is passing?

EDIT: Per one veterinarian Sef has consulted with, Metoclopramide (Reglan) and Cisapride used together can cause potentially serious complications in some situations. Use only as directed and under the strict supervision of a knowledgeable exotics veterinarian.

See also: Motility Medications

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:47 pm

At first they were small. They are now becoming more normal looking. Just not many of them. He has his follow up tomorrow morning, so I'm going to mention his issue again. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He's running, etc. I feel bad BC I had to put a divider in the cage to keep his cagemate away so he can heal. Benson keeps him on his toes, but I also don't want him stressed out. I just want this absess to be gone..Spencer is the most loving and sweetest boy.

I've been giving him Orchard grass BC I didn't want the first cut Timothy hay to poke his incision...but I may give him some for more fiber.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:12 pm

That could be why you're seeing fewer poops -- just a guess. Can you get 2nd cutting?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:34 pm

I can order it 😊. He just had his Reglan and 30 minute massage. Come on poop! Lol

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:51 pm

If you have Amazon Prime, an order on Saturday should have it to you on Tuesday. I've also had good luck with Chewy.com lately...orders arrive in 1-2 days, and the price of most hay on their site is actually less than on Amazon.com. I've been ordering Rabbit Hole brand 2nd cutting and have been pleased with it so far. Chewy also carries Oxbow.

Fingers crossed on the pooping. Let us know how the appointment goes tomorrow.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:24 am

His poop is becoming more frequent, but still not up to the normal amount. It's a start. I was able to get some for his yearly stool sample. I leave in about 20 mins for his follow up. Fingers crossed. I want this thing gone. ❤

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am

Gonna leave drain in as he wants this to stay open for as long as possible and Spencer apparently heals fast. Abscess has not returned so far...has some inflammed tissue but he said it's expected being he's had two surgeries in two weeks. Still awaiting culture results.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Want a job? I need a really detail oriented person at my shop. My gosh you are organised.

Kidding aside, Good luck with Spencer. I think you are doing everything correctly and he's going to be fine.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Sounds good. How is he doing poop-wise?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Still not pooping much 🙄. He's running, eating and drinking. I am also syringing SARx (Sherwood's critical care). Massaging. Simethicone. I stopped using the Reglan BC I don't want him to become dependent on it. I put his cage mate with him in the playpen as it encourages him to eat more hay. The second cutting is on it's way. Still using bene bac too. His weight is a steady 1220g.

He's bright eyed etc. Not presenting as he does when he has bloat. I palpated him. No gas bubbles. So im at a loss 🤷🏼 i will get more aggressive with the SARx and see. I'm calling the vet in the AM to see if his culture results are in and going to ask if his regular vet wants to see him bout this issue.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:44 am

That is strange. Was he producing more poops when on Reglan?