Spencer's Abscess

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Oh darn. Well, sounds like you caught it early enough that it should be a fairly straightforward procedure. Good thing you kept on top of it.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm just.upset because I brought him in several times to check it. And they always just said it was ok ☹. I think drs should listen to concerns more. Ugh. They checked his teeth and said all looks well. They're going to do more xrays.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Sorry about the news! I so hope this will eventually completely clear up.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Me too! The vet said the most he's ever had to do on a piggy to get rid of an abscess is 3 surgeries. This will be number 3. Poor Spencer. He's a tough cookie. ❤

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:34 pm

I wonder if anything like a wound vac has ever been used on a small animal like a guinea pig (they have been used on dogs). Wound vacs generally aid in healing large areas that are missing skin - but part of the function is squirting in a solution and vacuuming it back out which perhaps might aid in keeping it clean. They do, however, require frequent changes (say, 3X a week) and someone who knows how to do them properly for the change.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Actually, as far as I know, the only reason abscesses keep forming is that they have been incompletely drained. When that happens, they WILL come back because the infection is still there. It's why flushing them multiple times a day to get all that thick pus out is so important.

I'd be very unhappy with a vet that had to do three procedures to get rid of an abscess.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:45 pm

I am very unhappy that this is the third go. I'm really mad that I kept being told everything was OK and it wasn't. 😡. I know medicine isn't an exact science but at least start taking owners concerns. I took their word when they said the draining was normal because of the healing. Now I know better.

Just hope this is the final surgery

I'm also asking for a different AB. Clearly Orbax hasnt done it's job.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:36 pm

They're suggesting it may be a seroma as the drainage has been clear with no smell.

Fingers crossed on Wednesday!

Spencers well. It doesn't bother him. I've been upping his Vit C to prepare his immune system for the surgery. He's already a big boy..but has gained weight as well

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 am

That is encouraging. I hope all goes well!!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Sounds like a plan. Let us know what you find out.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you. Wednesday seems forever away ugh. Spencers running. Popcorning. You'd never know something was "wrong". And still gaining weight lol. He's already a big meatball 😂

Stocked up on saline....hibiclens....qtips...gloves...more dish towels to wrap him. Wed I'll sanitize and divide the cage again.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 am

Unfortunately Spencer will not be having surgery. Because my concerns kept being blown over...the infection is now so deep in his bone nothing can be done. He will be on antibiotics and pain meds until time for him to leave us 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭