Spencer's Abscess

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm

Unfortunately the granulated tissue is on the inside of the wound which is now almost closed. From what I researched (on humans and horses) it can be hard and firm as it's new tissue growth from healing. I did email the vet to check...waiting for a reply.

I chose the massaging route as he said they can do laser therapy on it if I didn't want to massage (I guess it softens it because it's fibrous tissue??). I don't even want to know the cost of that lol

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 am

I went looking via google on massage and granulated tissue. There do seem to be benefits to massaging in breaking up scarred tissue. I don't recall any guinea pig treated by a vet that included massage but there is always a first time! I hope it helps the abscess heal.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:41 am

It just makes me paranoid that the lump is there. Makes me think the abscess is back. I'm still waiting to hear from the vet. I'm going to call in. I have no patience. He told me if i feel the abscess coming back to bring him in. I don't know exactly how to feel for a difference. The lump does run the length of where the drain was. 🤔🤔 I did purchase some hibiscrub to flush what opening is left. I'm going to use a warn compress later if he'll let me to see.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:17 am

The lump feels like bone if that makes sense and when i massage it..it feels like im rubbing over a little vein on one part.

I left the vet a message. My boss happens to be good friends with him. I'm going to ask her to reach out to him because he's off today.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 am

I would, just for peace of mind. That doesn't sound normal to me. Do let us know what you find out, okay?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 pm

His vet is not in until Monday. I did reach out to the vet I got Spencer from because I keep him updated on how he's doing. He said its granulation tissue and it can take months to resolve. He said an abscess wouldn't feel like rubbing bone. Spencer has a follow up Tuesday so I'm going to make his vet check again.

It be easier to take him to the vet I got him from....but to be honest...he's kinda of creepy and creeps me out lol.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Spencer had to see a different exotic vet as his is sick in the hospital. He said he doesn't feel any abscess and it's just tissue. He said there's a little pus but its not thick, it's just watery. He said Spencer will be on Orbax for another 3 months to make sure the bacteria is gone. I'm going to keep flushing the tiny hole 3xs a day with hibiclens and saline.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Dilute the hibiclens. It's too strong to use straight out of the bottle.

And I don't have great feelings about that vet. Guinea pig pus is watery? I don't think so. They lack an enzyme that makes pus runny like human pus is. GP pus is thick and cheesy. And Orbax for three months? I wouldn't do it to my pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Yes, that is a very long time!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am

When could your usual vet see him again? Or is there another exotics vet in the area you could take him to for a re-check if needed? I don't know what this other vet was seeing, but as bpatters stated guinea pig pus generally has a thick, toothpaste-like consistency.

Ditto dilution of the Hibiclens. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm

The vet that saw him is an exotic vet as well. He did show me the pus and it looked watery. It doesn't smell. Even after his two surgeries that vet said it was watery pus and exploded all over him and gagged from the smell...so Spencer must be a medical mystery lol. All joking aside, I honestly thought it was the from the wound healing BC the skin is almost all closed.

They want to use the Orbax that long as the lab couldn't get a sensitivity test on the bacteroides the culture grew.

Yes the hibiclens is very diluted. We use it in the ER I work at 😊. He's supposed to have a follow up with the vet next week...as long as he's still not sick.

WorkingPig24

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Bpatters I don't think I've ever heard of guinea pigs not having an enzyme to produce watery pus. Do you have a link to where you've heard that? Curious
Good to hear your boy is doing better!