Recurrent UTI's, no stones

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Well, if you don't take him back to be euthanized, he'll be in pain until he dies. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do for them is to let them go.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Don't beat yourself up over this. We all do the best we can with the information that we have at the time. As a friend recently reminded me, guinea pig medical care is not an exact science. You saw that he wasn't improving; you wanted to help him. The vet did what he/she thought best to try to determine what the problem was and try to resolve it. Nobody is to blame for this.

These little guys are fragile, and although I've had a number of guinea pigs who dealt with illness, surgery, etc., and bounced right back, I've had others that just seemed to give up.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:56 pm

George has passed away. He went fairly quickly, and he was surrounded by his loved ones. He was at home and comfortable.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm so sorry, amberkenn2016.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm very sorry.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Thank you sef1268 and bpatters. I've been trying to rationalize all of this, and to be honest I feel absolutely horrible. He was such a good pig, and I feel like I failed him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:22 pm

I am so sorry you lost him. You have our sympathy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:46 pm

You absolutely did not fail him. On the contrary, you were trying to get to the bottom of the recurring UTIs. There was clearly something going on with that; antibiotics should have cleared it up. It's hard to say, but possible that he had some other underlying issue that wasn't showing up in tests. You did your very best to find out what was wrong and treat it, and it's nobody's fault that this happened. It's a very unfortunate and sad part of pet ownership that sometimes these things just happen, despite all the best diligence and care.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:39 am

sef1268, thank you so much for your kind words. Everyone around me keeps telling me that I did everything I could but I have a feeling that I'll feel this way for a very long time. His brother Fred passed away a little over a month ago due to complications of cancer, and George was always so fond of him. I'm glad they didn't have to be separated for long, and I think that can give me some peace tonight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 am

Sef is so right. And it is so hard to lose one of these beloved pets.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 am

I am very sorry for your loss, too..
And what a cool names..Fred and George..as in Harry Potter?

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Lisa12, yes, that's exactly how they earned their names. They were rambunctious little trouble makers when they were young, and although they kind of mellowed out they still got into mischief. That, and they both had orange fur coloring, just like the twins.