Eloise Medical Topic

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:14 pm

I changed the title of your topic so you can add more about her health.

Big ditto on the issue with the pockets. The poster in question had a guinea pig with serious respiratory issues that would not resolve. The pockets were the source of the problem.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:40 pm

In case you haven't already read:
https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

CuteGuineas

Post   » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Update: I made the pocket inaccessible to the pigs and clipped an old hand-towel to a corner as a poster above suggested. (They also have a two-entrance wooden hidey in the pen right now as well.) I did read the link above about URIs - thanks! Happily, she has none of those symptoms except coughing (very occasionally). I am not always right nearby when it happens, so I am not certain whether she coughs when when she is eating. I will hear her cough, then will come around the corner so that I can watch her, but then she doesn't do it again, so I don't know the reason why she does it.

She seems otherwise quite healthy with a good appetite as always, so we have canceled the vet appointment for now but are keeping an eye out for any changes and to see whether the cough continues.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 pm

It could be she is just eating too fast. If I remember right, one of my guinea pigs ate green peppers too fast.

Keeping them out of the bedding pockets is still a good idea!

CuteGuineas

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:13 am

I am worried about a stain I found on the pigs’ fleece today; it almost looks like dried blood. (I have two pigs, Sugar and Eloise, and I don’t know which one the stain would be coming from.) Both seem to be acting normal as far as I can tell. I didn’t see any signs of blood on their fur, though it’s hard to get a good look at their little bums.

I would like to post a picture of it but do not see a way to attach a photo from my phone

CuteGuineas

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 am

Well, now the stain seems to have disappeared. If I hadn't taken a picture of it, I would think I was crazy. I am going to bed now.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Help! 😢 My little pig Eloise has some sort of a respiratory infection and is eating almost nothing, and I am worried she is not going to make it.

It all happened very fast. My husband (who works nights/evenings and is home during the day) texted me yesterday afternoon to say that Eloise was acting lethargic and staying in her hidey box and didn't come out for veggies -- which is totally unlike her; she usually starts wheeking and comes running as soon as she hears the fridge door open. (She had appeared fine was eating early that morning.)

He took her to the vet that same afternoon. The vet said her breathing sounded gruffy and prescribed an antibiotic (orbifloxacin) to be given every 12 hours. She has now had the antibiotic 3x and I am still not seeing any improvement. She stays in her box; you can see her sides moving when she breathes; and she barely eats. I put hay right up next to the box so she could eat it without moving, but she has hardly touched it. I saw her eating a couple of strands earlier this evening, but that's it. Yesterday, she ate a tiny bit of kale when I put it next to her, but today she won't eat any of the veggies that I put next to her. Her water bottle is close by, but I have not seen her drink.

We got some Critical Care from the vet to feed her, but it is a total failure. We have both tried to feed her with a syringe (and also tried first just in a dish to see if she would sample it on her own, which she didn't) but she squirms and pulls her head away, or hides her head, etc., etc., and almost nothing got in her, and it probably stresses her out. Yes, I know there is a link here on how to feed a pig with a syringe, and we have read and tried but are not succeeding.

Anything else we can do besides keep trying? It's so maddeningly frustrating that we can't get her to eat, and she was seemingly so healthy just a couple of days ago.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Please help. TLDR version of above post is that she has a URI of some sort (has seen the vet and been on antibiotics for just over 24 hours) but will not come out of her hidey box and worse, we can't get any food into her despite our best efforts to syringe-feed Critical Care. What might we be doing wrong?

CuteGuineas

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:25 pm

(Whoops, double posted.)

CuteGuineas

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:13 pm

I think my last post disappeared? If you don't want to read the whole thing, the long story short is we are trying to syringe feed her and we can't get her to eat, and time is going to run out soon. Any tips welcome - thank you!

(ETA: Never mind, the post is still there. I look like a crazy lady posting too many times in a row.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 pm

I know you understand how important it is to get food moving through her system.

Try putting her on a counter, corraled in the crook of your arm. Lots of tips on the hand feeding page.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html