Eloise Medical Topic

CuteGuineas

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Turns out it was a false alarm; she is just chunky. 😄 Making up for the weight she lost when she was sick with the URI, I guess. Whew! Though given the timing and the mix-up with the little boar, I am glad we had her checked.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 pm

That is the best outcome!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Whew! Good news indeed.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:44 am

Poor Eloise is always my pig with potential medical issues.

Current issue: She perpetually has a very dirty rear end. I gave her a bum bath about a week ago and trimmed her hair in that region as well, but now she is looking just as grubby as ever. She is not what I would call a long-haired pig, but she is not short-haired either. She and her mom Sugar both have medium-length hair that grows a little longer in the butt region. I thought giving it a close trim would help, but I have done that several times, and she still gets dirty.

Anyone else had this problem with one of their pigs? Is it something I should take her to the vet for? What can they do about it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 am

Does she sleep in a litter pan? I had one that always had a dirty butt. The litter pan was her favorite place to sleep. I took the litter pans out, and that solved the problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:08 pm

There are ear drops that help dissolve wax in the ear (a veterinary product for cats, mostly). Maybe that would help?

TheFerg

Post   » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 am

I have such a mix of piggies - some are very clean and tidy and have only had a bath 2-3 times in 4 years, and the water is hardly dirty. Others are filthy little beasts and get monthly baths, resulting in filthy water. I did notice a couple guinea pigs, as they got older, couldn't quite clean their ends as well from arthritis, etc, and so they got warm wipe downs every few days and a butt bath as needed.

Is she incontinent? My older girl developed a bit of incontinence around 6.5 years old (she lived to be 8.5) and would dribble urine a bit, resulting in dirty bum area and urine scald if we didn't keep her cleaned up.