Eloise Medical Topic

CuteGuineas

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:52 pm

I had to google gravid spay. Is there a reason why they would do that rather than a C-section? (I am new to this.)

CuteGuineas

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:04 pm

(Deleted extra post, sorry)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm

It's my understanding that c-sections on guinea pigs are seldom done because they're seldom successful, but other people may have more knowledge of that than I do. The gravid spay concentrates on saving the sow's life, and a c-section would put her at greater risk.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Ok, I see. Well, I guess we will see what the vet says. The best way would be if they think she could give birth naturally. Are they often able to tell by looking at the pig?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

No, they can't tell by looking at the pig. And they can't always tell from an x-ray. What an x-ray will tell is if there's one or more very large pups that may totally block the birth canal.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 pm

If she is pregnant and you choose to go through with the pregnancy, make sure your vet will help immediately if there are complications.
https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html

CuteGuineas

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 pm

I will ask. There are a couple of different local vets that do exotics, so I hope one of them could come to the rescue. The trouble is that it could happen during the day when no one is around. (My husband and I are both still working, and we do not have the kind of jobs where we can work from home - I wish we did.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 am

I understand that you would do the best you could.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Turns out it was a false alarm; she is just chunky. 😄 Making up for the weight she lost when she was sick with the URI, I guess. Whew! Though given the timing and the mix-up with the little boar, I am glad we had her checked.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 pm

That is the best outcome!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Whew! Good news indeed.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:44 am

Poor Eloise is always my pig with potential medical issues.

Current issue: She perpetually has a very dirty rear end. I gave her a bum bath about a week ago and trimmed her hair in that region as well, but now she is looking just as grubby as ever. She is not what I would call a long-haired pig, but she is not short-haired either. She and her mom Sugar both have medium-length hair that grows a little longer in the butt region. I thought giving it a close trim would help, but I have done that several times, and she still gets dirty.

Anyone else had this problem with one of their pigs? Is it something I should take her to the vet for? What can they do about it?