Guinea Pig Scratching Everyday

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:36 am

I think that sounds like a very good idea. Be sure to take a copy of the safe medications list on GL with you. It does sound like she may have a mild infection of some sort, but it's best to check with a veterinarian who routinely sees guinea pigs before switching to another drug. Carefresh bedding, while not totally dust-free, is a good choice that typically doesn't cause allergies or other respiratory issues. I'd check your hay as well, though. Dusty hay can be a sign of mold and can cause all kinds of issues.

Good luck on Friday; keep us posted.

hwendy12

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Just a quick update on our vet visit. I like this new vet much better. He was way more thorough while checking my guinea pig up. He checked her eyes, ears, and throat. Did not find anything wrong with her. I also told him about the scratching so he checked her body for any scratches, redness, etc., and everything is good there as well. He did not see the need to give her any medication, and she is eating normally, pooping normally, and very happy now. She did lose some weight (from 970g to 930g), but the vet said it's probably because she was not eating properly before. I will continue to monitor her weight every other day from now on. Thank you everyone for your help!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:43 am

That's good news. Do weigh at the same time every time you weigh -- first thing in the a.m., for example, before feeding. You'll get a more accurate and consistent idea of her weight that way.