Diarrhea, not eating hay, but wants veggies

Akozar3

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Since last night Stormy has pooped a couple (maybe 3) harder poops. No more diarrhea. But she is still not eating nearly enough. She nibbles at hay, preferring the fluffy top pieces. And she will still enthusiastically eat lettuce and cilantro.

We have tried and tried to force feed her critical care with the syringe and she refuses it. We can get a few squirts in her mouth as she eats lettuce. But other than that she fights us relentlessly. She bites the towel we have her wrapped in, thrashes her head. It is impossible to get the syringe in her mouth. 90% of it ends up on us or on her chest.

I’ve tried mixing it with concentrated apple juice, carrot baby food, Odwalla juice and she wants none of it. I have had to give critical care to other pigs and none of them were as aggressive and resistant as she is. I literally cannot get her to eat it.

For now I’m continuing to give her the meds, veggies, and hay. That’s all I can do. We’ll see how she does.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Are you weighing her a couple times a day?

Some tips for getting things into guinea pigs:
www.guinealynx.info/tips.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Have you tried warming the Critical Care and making it a little runnier than directions state? We found our pigs hated it cold but once warm a little they loved it. Please do keep us posted and wishing you good luck!

Akozar3

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Lynx, I was weighing her once a day, but I can start doing it a couple times a day. We can hold her in that position long enough to get her meds in, but it takes so long to get through a syringe of CC that she ends up wiggling away from us. We’ve still managed to get some critical care into her today.

We will try warming it next time. I’m not sure that that will help though as she just seems adamant about not taking the syringe.

She is still eating lettuce and cilantro and the fluffy hay pieces. All we have here is orchard grass. It’s usually her favorite.They eat the small pet select orchard grass, but I also have a bag of oxbow orchard grass I’ve been offering to her. I will go tomorrow and get Timothy hay and see if she prefers that.