Harrison's Medical Thread

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Right on the heels of losing Amos, we now have another guy with issues. Harrison is 6 years old with no history of health problems. Yesterday, he wasn't interested in his pellets and was sitting fluffed up in the corner of the cage he shares with 1.5 year old Jeremy. Examined him but couldn't really find anything obvious going on other than a slight rough/sharp spot on one of his incisors so I filed it, gave him a dose of Metacam, and this morning he seemed back to normal.

This evening, he's back to sitting in the corner of their cage, not interested in hay or pellets but still eating veggies. I'm not thrilled about another vet visit so soon after our ordeal last week, but I need to see if something is going on internally. I did notice this odd abrasion over his right eye:

It doesn't appear to be sore to the touch and I can't really see any swelling but it's a little hard to tell. Being so close to the eye I'm a little uncertain as to what I should put on it. First thought was maybe Terramycin. Any other suggestions?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm

I think the terramycin is a good idea.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Have you examined his hair/fur thoroughly to see if there is anything else strange about his skin or coat?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Yes. Nothing anywhere else of concern. At first I thought it looked fungal, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of sore.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 pm

It looks like the irritated eyebrows my dog gets when he rubs his eyes. They get itchy and he rubs with his paws.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:42 am

Could it be an injury from Jeremy; a nip or something? Is there anything in his cage that could have jabbed or poked him? I don't know of any parasite that would cause a sore like that. It looks more like a small abrasion than a puncture wound. He might have scratched himself the wrong way too.

He's awful cute. Hope he's going to be ok.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:44 pm

The sore could be from his cage mate. I have been putting a small amount of Terramycin on it and it looks a little less irritated.

He is still not eating pellets on his own and seems 'off.' I made the decision this evening to separate him from Jeremy in order to monitor intake and output, and can see that his poops are perfectly formed but extremely tiny, even though I'm pushing Critical Care and Metoclopramide and he's eating a decent amount of hay now and veggies. He's also getting Metacam and Bactrim, since I originally suspected a UTI. When I look at his penis, I notice that a small amount of urine seems to dribble from it constantly and it looks very slightly prolapsed. There's no apparent blockage, though; his urine output seems otherwise normal. No discernable blood and he's not crying when he urinates.

With nothing else obvious to go on, I'm taking him in tomorrow afternoon for x-rays.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Good luck. He looks like he has some hemi.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks, Bookfan. He's a watered-down himalayan, yes.

Wish I had somebody to go with me today. So soon after losing Amos, Mr. Sef doesn't want to make another trip back to the vet and I can't blame him. I'm just hoping this is something fixable.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 pm

It was an enormous bladder stone. Rather than put him through the hell that I put Amos through with surgery and a painful, traumatic post-op that ended in death, anyway, I made the decision to go ahead and have him PTS. Second loss in a week.

I'm done. His buddy is going back to the rescue where she can pair him with someone else and find him a good home, and I'll keep the senior but he'll be the end of the line for me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm so sorry, Sef. You've had a hell of a week.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Oh Sef, I’m so sorry. What a heartbreaking and miserable week for you.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Oh, no! I am so sorry. This has to really hurt. It is always hard to lose one of these guys - I can't imagine how hard this is having lost Amos so recently.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:09 am

I am very sorry for your loss. POor HArrison..I just tough of the Beatles when I saw the name,...and the photo<3. Take care.

I always tought of that when i had to say so long to our animals:

“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” Rumi

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:54 am

I’m so sorry, sef. Your boys were lucky to have known your love and care.

I totally understand your heartbreak and burnout. Perhaps you could foster for the rescue at some point in the future.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Very sorry to hear about Amos and Harrison. I wish there was something I could say to help ease the pain. I also understand how this makes you not want to raise guinea pigs any more. They are such precious pets and they are with us for such a short time as compared to dogs and cats after we pour our hearts into them. I can respect your decision and I hope that someday you'll be able to provide a loving and caring home for more piggies who need it. In the meantime, please don't be a stranger on this forum. Your knowledge and expertise is invaluable. You've helped many of us with our guinea pig issues and it means more to us than you realize.

Mr Bubbles and Scruffy are just 6 months apart in age and just over a year older than Sammy and Dean who are the same age. I knew going in that when the inevitable happens, it will probably come in pairs and not too far apart. The only way I know how to prepare for it is to give them all the loving care I can and to enjoy every day I have with them. I gather from your interaction here that you did exactly that with all of your piggies. They were very lucky to have you and I hope you find some comfort in knowing that.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm sorry Sef, I understand. You have done so much to further the heath of so many GPs. You deserve a break.

18 posts • Page 1 of 1