Revolution: monthly or biweekly?

dribble

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:34 pm

I bet this is answered here somewhere but I can’t find it. The vet’s instruction is to use Revolution monthly, but I thought I’d read that some people use it every other week. In my case all three pigs stopped itching a few days after the first dose, but they all started itching exactly two weeks later. Can I give them a second dose now or is that harmful?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41 pm

Revolution is supposed to work for a longer period of time. We tend to recommend repeat treatments of ivermectin on a weekly basis but I don't recall any recommendation to do it weekly for Revolution. A severe infestation might be an exception for some vets.

It has a pretty good safety record though. I think maybe in two weeks it could help if mites were a serious problem.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm

The latest (5th edition) of Carpenters Exotics Formulary lists the recommended dose for Selamectin at 15mg/kg at a single dose, or dosed 2x every 21-28 days.

dribble

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Good info, as always! Thank you for the reference info. If it’s 2x every 21-28 days, that means once every 14 days would be ok. Did I get that right?

After battling it unsuccessfully with ivermectin for so long, I had high hopes when the Revolution helped. It’s disappointing to see them scratching again. It’s like they all had a timer run out early.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Not sure. I interpreted it to mean that you can give two doses if needed (1 is the general recommendation), with the second dose being administered 21-28 days after the first, but in another reference for canine dosage, it does say that the second dose could be administered two weeks after the first. If it were me, I'd err on the side of caution.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Since you started another topic on Revolution recently, perhaps you can post your question there so all this information is together instead of scattered to multiple topics.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =2&t=77754