And I have been reading that the options usually are:
1) do nothing
3) hormone injections
4) operation to remove
What is the usual the case? I am just worried about making the wrong decision and surgery scares me because I feel like I've read so many bad cases of piggies not waking up.
- Supporter 2016-2019
She got an injection, then 2 weeks later another, then nothing for 6 months, then back to the two injections 2 weeks apart. 2.5 years old I would have thought maybe a little young? Are there any other symptoms? Maybe she gets crabby when in season?
Just a thought. Keep us posted. You may wish to also weigh her weekly too as weight lost can mean piggy is sick.
Personally, I would like to see a vet I knew and felt comfortable with who was a good surgeon with lots of guinea pig experience and at a time I could spend time during recovery. There might be a good one in your area.
For a healthy guinea pig and an experienced surgeon who has done multiple successful spays on guinea pigs the odds are good there will be a positive outcome.
I did not get a spay right away for my guinea pig Snowflake after I determined it was likely she had ovarian cysts. If you noticed a great deal of swelling in the area of her ovaries, it might be more of an emergency. As daisymay points out, there are injections that can help but they must be repeated.
I took in her and they did an ultrasound but didn't see anything. They said she looks a little swollen (don't quote me on swollen) but they decided to do a hormone shot. If she loses some mass (~10 grams) in a week she'll go in again in 2 weeks and get another injection. Thanks for the info Daisymay and Lynx!
Side note: She took the shot like a champ and didn't even squeal, that's one brave piggy.