Ovarian Cysts???

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 am

Terramycin is Oxytetracycline. The only safe use is in an ophthalmic cream/solution for the eyes.

This was injected. In Zoe, Choloe and Petal. Thankfully didn't lose them especially who had 5 injections of the stuff!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:59 pm

I am glad you recognized it was dangerous (I didn't think you were talking about an ophthalmic cream/solution but just added that info for future readers).

Brist1cm

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55 pm

Bailey is feeling better, going to keep giving her eye drops 3 times a day, pain meds once a day, and put a towel wrapped cold pack on her legs. She has got up in her restricted cage several times to eat hay and drink water based off of my piggy camera. This is exciting and I hope she continues to improve, I know Bella would want her sister to thrive!

I have some questions regarding my other young pig but I'm not sure if I should create a new thread for her. But I'll add to her story here since I already mentioned it here. Bactrim isn't working so we left a message to vet (he doesn't work today, but does tomorrow) to try a different antibiotics for her uri. We have both baytril and doxy from Bella a few weeks ago, but I saw baytril is NOT recommended for young pigs. This poor baby still has all of her personality, energy, and spunk, but still sick with multiple things. I'm hoping a different antibiotic doesn't upset her appetite as bactrim didn't (its day 5 and she has more snot and no decrease in sneezing... No labored breathing, lethargy, or crusty eyes though!)

Furthermore, she had slight scabbing under her nose, but I'm not sure if it's from ringworm/mites or if it's cheilitis. We have bathed her in the recommended shampoos and have been puting clotrimazole 1% on it 2-3 times a day. Her patch of ringworm is still getting somewhat scaly, but is shrinking in size and has no more bloody scabs.... But it's also more swollen. Does this sound concerning??? The ivermectin should be here Wednesday (if it's mites) but when I talk to vet I'll see if there's anything else we can do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:10 am

When you say it is more swollen, does it also look inflamed? Hot to the touch?

You have been working so hard to get her better! I hope everything gets cleared up sooner vs. later!

Brist1cm

Post   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:15 am

Vet wants to try baytril and doxy together..... I'm nervous to do both. I will take a closer look at her leg when I get her out, if I recall it wasn't hot and was hard and swollen, not red and inflamed swollen.

Brist1cm

Post   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:55 pm

I think I'm going to go with my gut and only give her doxy

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 am

Doxy is a very strong antibiotic. I would think carefully about it! We used it on Jaffa and Joy and we never did get their tummies back to normal. Their poops were so mushy, Jaffa passed after 3 months and Joy 4 months NOT to do with the doxy but with mushy poops, upset tummy they didn't have energy to fight.

Brist1cm

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:56 am

Well the bactrim isn't working and I've heard more horror stories about baytril than doxy and she's too young for baytril. So I'm hoping this works, it needs to!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:21 am

How long has she been on the Bactrim? It has always worked for us. If she is too young for Baytril then I think she is too young for Doxy. It is up to you, all I can do is offer advice. Good luck!

Brist1cm

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 am

She was on bactrim from Monday until Saturday am with no improvements and her nasal discharge got worse

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 am

Our Jinx has been on Bactrim for 2 weeks. Sometimes piggies are on antibiotics for 4 weeks or more. If she has an URI https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html she may need to be on it longer. How old is she?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:33 am

Doxycycline works better than bactrim on some types of bacteria. We recommend any antibiotic changes/use be done under the supervision of your vet. I think you said you left a message with your vet.

Sometimes Baytril is used in young guinea pigs despite problems with affecting their growing bones. Short term use is likely to do less damage. If you haven't read https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html , it may be helpful.