Medical Topic for Oswald

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello all, it’s been a while but I’m here seeking advice for my Piggy Oswald. Saturday I noticed there wasn’t much poo in the cage and usually he goes a lot. The only poo I found were bits and I noticed he was in his hideys a lot so I took them away and encouraged him to eat. By Sunday he looked back to normal and was making usual amount and normal size of poo. Monday evening and he’s having same problem. I took the hideys and he nibbles hay on his own but not eating as much as he usually does. Already scheduled a vet appotment for tomorrow and going to feed him orally when I can but is there something else I can do to encourage him to eat? Would benebac help or is that only if his poo is mushy

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Good to have him checked out. In the meantime, have you looked at his anal sac to rule out the possibility of an impaction? That can not only decrease the number of poops showing up in the cage, but can also cause decreased appetite.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:56 pm

I have not, how do I know if he has an impaction?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:57 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

I notice you have started multiple topics in the medical forum, some on Oswald.

Please stick to a single topic about him and do not start any new ones.

I am going to add Oswald's name to this topic's title so you have one you can use.

It is very helpful to have a history of a guinea pig all in one place. Perhaps you can summarize all the issues he has had and provide links to topics you have already started, if appropriate.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Sorry lynx, it’s been a few months since he’s had any problem so i figured the topics were gone, and most of my past topics were about my piggies that passed away back in May

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:15 pm

The topics stay here for a really long time. You can search on the name of your guinea pig now to find his topic.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Ok, thank you.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Small update, I decided to stay home and make sure he’s eating. I been giving him critical care and water and putting him back in the cage to take small breaks. He’s doing his business more and eating his lettuce and cucumber and nibbling on chews. The poo is starting to look better but he’s still not eating much Timothy hay. Just a few bites of it here and thee. Seems like the critical care is helping to stimulate his appetite. And I checked and he doesn’t look impacted.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Very good. Let us know how it goes at the vet tomorrow. I would want to rule out dental issues, for starters.

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Update he’s been eating a lot more on his own and pooping and being his usual grumpy self. Just got back the vet and she said his teeth look good and he looks healthy and doesn’t look like he’s in any pain. To just give him one or two feedings of critical care for a few days to up his appetite more and keep an eye on him

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 pm

He needs to eat hay, though. Is the hay that you have relatively fresh?

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:06 pm

He has started to eat more and more hay like he usually used to. I get him the small pet elect Timothy hay so it’s pretty fresh