Concerned about my Pebble

Fluffy1409

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:55 am

Hey all. This is my first time posting here even though I've been looking at the forums for a long time. I'm posting here because I cant find a straight answer.
Recently on 11/15 my piggy named Pebble has developed a head tilt to the right. She walks very funny kinda like all over the place and moves her head loosely but seems to get better as she starts moving around until she lays back down and take a nap. She walks in a circle a few times before going straight. It almost seems like she is dizzy and the world is spinning around her. Sometimes she will lose balance and fall over and roll but she is able to get back up on her own. Otherwise she seems fine and eats and drinks less than usually but gets up on her own and eats hay and pellets and ofcourse loves veggies.

I did take her to the vet and she noticed her lymph nodes were swollen by her back feet and I believe by her shoulder. The vet did a physical exam and said she is very healthy and thinks she has an mid or inner ear infection and gave me Baytril to give to treat it if she does have an ear infection. She also mentioned about having lymphoma which I really hope that's not it. As a lymphoma survivor myself I know how it feels.

I'm turning to you guys for some guidance because of your experiences. The symptoms she is having are they from an ear infection? Lymphoma? What are the symptoms of lymphoma on a piggy?

I never used Baytril (usually Bactrim and some anti parasite and wormer medicine) and from the smell of it and accidentally tasting it, it is really nasty and I feel bad giving her that stuff. I do follow up with a veggie to get rid of the taste. Is there an easier way to give her the medicine without squirting it in her mouth? Also how long does it take to see an effect on the piggy? Assuming she has an infection. If you were wondering she prescribed 100mg Baytril liquid and give her 0.1ml twice a day for 14 days. She is almost 4years old and weighs just under 1kg.
Thank you all for your input :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:54 am

It sounds like it very well could be an inner ear infection, and would be the first thing to rule out. Has she ever shown signs of, or been treated for, an upper respiratory infection? Tumors or some other neurological problem would also be possibilities.

To determine if that's a reasonable dose of Baytril, we'd need to know the strength of the drug by milliliter -- should be listed on the label as "125mg/ml" (as an example).

Fluffy1409

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:01 am

She has never been treated for anything and has never shown signs of URI. In fact yesterday 11/16 was the first time she has been to a vet. Baytril is 100mg/ml

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:49 am

Baytril (Enrofloxacin) has a wide dosage range of 5-20 mg/kg. If you guinea pig weighs roughly 1kg, the dose would be calculated as follows:

1 kg of guinea pig x a mid-dose of Baytril of 10 mg/kg = 10 mg needed. Divided by the strength of the drug (100mg/ml) in order to determine number of cc's = 0.1ml/cc. So yes, that would seem to be a reasonable dose to start with. I'm guessing the vet gave you the injectable Baytril to be given orally, which does taste very bitter. You can use a small amount of unsweetened juice with it, or as you have been doing, offer a treat immediately after. If you're using a 1cc syringe, just draw up the small amount and stick it into her mouth at a slight angle and towards the back teeth. One quick squirt and you're done.

Do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled? Certainly if she doesn't show any sign of improvement next week, or if the condition worsens, do get her back in to see the vet ASAP. I'd want x-rays and/or an ultrasound to get a better idea of what's going on. Is your vet experienced with exotics?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:40 pm

I think the worry about the bitterness is more our problem than the guinea pigs' problem. I did, however, long ago draw up the liquid dose and then the tiniest bit of tasty jelly to counteract the bitterness. I don't think it was needed.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:16 pm

It's ridiculous that vets prescribe that horrible-tasting stuff to be given orally. My vet had Baytril compounded with some flavor the pigs loved, and it was never a problem to dose them with it.

Fluffy1409

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 am

""Do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled? Certainly if she doesn't show any sign of improvement next week, or if the condition worsens, do get her back in to see the vet ASAP. I'd want x-rays and/or an ultrasound to get a better idea of what's going on. Is your vet experienced with exotics?""
I dont have a follow up appointment unless but the vet is calling me every other day. My vet is not specialized in exotics but they are experienced. I know I can get an xray but I'm not entirely sure about an ultrasound and or even a CT scan.

An update as of 11/20. She seems to be doing a lot better. She was very wobbly and had an extreme head tilt to the right and she seemed lost. She was weak and would let me give her medicine. She was kinda like dead weight. As of today she barely wobbles, eats a bit more, walks, the head tilt is gone, overall she looks more alert and herself. She even went a few times on the 2nd story! I'm happy she is doing better cause a month ago I had to PTS my dog and I dont know of I could handle losing a piggy