Hair loss (probably parasites?)

Svetoslav

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Super! Thanks so much for the info, really appreciated. I'll check him tonight to see if the places I treated are looking OK (no allergic reactons, etc) and tomorrow I'll bath him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Was it a white cream you applied?

Your new pictures look much clearer and I am wondering if you have fur mites or some sort of lice and if what we are seeing that is a white lump is kind of a cocoon of some sort like the fur mites and lice make. This is what I am looking at:

This is what the cocoons of the furmites look like:
https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html

If I had a microscope I would remove some of the white round things and examine them closely.

I'll go add your excellent pictures.

Svetoslav

Post   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 am

The Imaverol itself is oily and dark yellowish, but when you make the mixture (1:50 with water) it becomes white.

I am also wondering of mites, if there's no improvement. Can I use Ivermectinum / Pandex (which is Bulgarian drug; 1% Ivermectinum / 10mg/1ml), topically together with the Imaverol? Any ideas on correct dosage? I want to use it topically, to avoid any risks, as he's under half kilo now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:20 pm

You should be able to use them concurrently. If the ivermectin is 10mg/ml, this page should help you with dosing:

https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

The 1% solution of ivermectin it uses is 10mg/ml.

Svetoslav

Post   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:38 pm

Good news that I can use the concurrently. I have a 1ml syringe ready, will pull 0.02ml (probably two-three drops) and put them behind the ears of the lil buddy. Will also give a shot to the older piggy (he's 1,2kg) as he took Pandex with no issues before. The guide is super helpful!

The Pandex bottle reads 1% 10mg/ml Ivermectin, benzyl alcohol, propylene glycol, water for injections. Hope these are harmless too.

Svetoslav

Post   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Gave them the topical drops, hope that this will help, as the bald spots are spreading. One of the 3 bald spots is now close to the bottom lip.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:07 pm

If there are mites, it certainly should help.

Give at least three treatments to all, one week apart.

Svetoslav

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:05 pm

OK everyone, first thank you for everyone following the post. Unfortunately, the progress is not going well.

From 3 bald spots, now we're developing 4th over the eye.

19 January - Suspected fungis. We bathed with Imaverol 1:50. Was not able to bath the head/mouth, he's MOVING all the time and I wanted to avoid the medication getting into the mouth/eyes.
23 January - Suspected mites. Got PANDEX 1% Ivermectin, a few drops behind the ears.
26 January - Continued treating for both mites/fungis. We bathed with Imaverol 1:25 (stronger concentration, as it doesn't seem to help) Unfortunately again no mouth or over the eye treatment, just the body.

Here's the progress in pics. Also there are some crusty things on the nose. Don't know if its some secret from the nose (looks dry when I look at it), food/hay or something else. Was not able to remove them just by touching gently, so decided to let them stay. Hope we didn't got cold from the first Imaverol bath, the mixture was a little cold. Then we dried with hair dryer. For the second bath I used hot water for the mixture and no hair dyer.

I'm thinking about starting treatment orally or with injections under the skin. Topically no results for now. Have to target in some way the spots around the mouth (really going to the lips) and immediately on top of the eye.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:56 pm

This must be so frustrating for you! On the face of it, one things of this as being fungal but there still are other possibilities.

I remember one guinea pig that had some very difficult skin issues that took a long while to resolve. We actually never really knew the cause or what worked but this haired guinea pig finally healed.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=1&t=96

There are oral treatments for fungus. Has your vet considered them?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 pm

That looks more fungal to me than parasitic.

Svetoslav

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 am

No good exotics vets around, so I don't know what will they consider. As my last resort, I'll give oral medications.

Now I'm willing to try the initial idea with human fungi cream, Daktacort (Miconazole 2% + hydrocortisone 1%). Not absolutely sure if it is safe for the mouth/eyes, as some of the spots are VERY VERY close to them. I'll skip the eye for now or use a earbud to apply only a little of the cream. Is this safe to treat everyday?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 am

See if you can get an oral antifungal medication, like lufenuron.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antifungal_a ... #lufenuron