what's the latest about hormone injectons?

Tracy

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm late posting for Zuki's 5th birthday (estimated July 20). Not great photos, but they were taken right around her b-day.

She continues to grow her fur back, no more bald patches. Her nipples are less crusty, though not completely normal (I clean them periodically, in case they're uncomfortable). And to me it seems like she's eating a bit better, moving around more... maybe just HAPPIER!

So I think the injections were a success; first one was about 3 months ago. It's also due to her new-ish pal, Maisy (together about 6 months now). Zukina was sad by herself after Izzy died, and she took to Maisy quickly. The two cohabitate nicely and frequently eat or relax side by side.

Happy birthday, Zukina!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 pm

Happy Birthday, Zukina! So glad to hear she is doing better. Very cute new-ish buddy, too. :)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 pm

Happy belated birthday, Zukina, and congratulations on getting a new buddy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:31 am

Happy belated birthday, Zukina! So glad you are feeling better and have a very cute play mate to play with. Would you mind if I tickled your feet? I can resist them! You look so comfy!

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:14 am

So happy to read this! Happy belated, Zuki!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:11 am

What a cutie! Great pictures!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:35 am

Oh, those feet hanging out of the cuddle cup! Adorable!

Tracy

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Aw, thanks for all the responses. I do love her little footsies hanging out from new fleece bed... a sure sign of comfort (though at first I watched to see that she could get out and hadn't hurt herself).

At first both wanted nothing to do with that item. If I placed one inside she'd jump out quickly. And at best they would curl up NEXT to it but not inside. Wasn't until I added the "canopy" that they decided it was worth a visit...more secure, I guess. Now both take turns in there to the point where I may buy a second one (plus another cover). Maisy got very comfy inside the bed, too, with feet out.

Interestingly enough, the vet who gave Zuki injections thought maybe her hormones were thrown off after Izzy died and/or when Maisy joined her. Zuki had 3 months by herself (when I definitely noticed crusty nipples) and then about 3 months with Maisy before the bald patches appeared. He said her estrus cycle may have been synced with Izzy's and then maybe went haywire (or at least changed) post-Izzy. Zuki definitely had cystic ovaries (seen with ultrasound) and perhaps still does -- common for female pigs, so his musings are mostly a correlation with the Izzy/Maisy timeline more than definite cause-and-effect.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Zuki and Maisie! So glad she's looking great (and cuuuute)! Thanks for the news.

Interesting theory about their cycles.

Tracy

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:47 pm

mmeadow, officially she's Miss Maisy... inspired by the children's books about Maisy the mouse, who is just adorable!

I thought vet's musings were interesting, too. Just glad Zukina is doing okay and the pair is great together. Each time I've had a solo piggy she didn't do well and then perked up with a pal... confirms they're social critters (though I know some are okay by themselves). And I know that recovery from a spay can be difficult, so very relieved about the injections.

Tracy

Post   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Hello again. A question for anyone whose piggy had cystorelin hormone injections for cystic ovaries... Should owner repeat the two injections after 6-9 months even if no signs (such as hair loss) return, or wait to notice something before more injections?

Zuki still looks okay and is acting okay. She doesn't let me pet her as much, but that's ever since I had to syringe some meds 2 weeks for a urinary issue; I think she doesn't trust The Hands like she used to. Her hormonal behavior seems pretty normal, just occasional rumbling around her cage mate when they sometimes assert themselves. Her nipples remained crusty even after the injections, but I'd say less than before the injections. Eating well, moving around, still enjoying their cuddle cup, etc.

Next month will be six months since cystorelin, so maybe repeat by year's end?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Have you asked your vet what they think?