Please help! My Fudge is dying...

-JB-

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 2:02 pm

I have had the flu for the past week so I have not been giving him any attention.
I realised there was something wrong when he started squeeking loudly as if in pain. I checked him out and he was wet, in a mess and in a right state :(

The next day, I took him to my local vet. They weren´t sure exactly what the problem was so they kept him in over night and put him on some antibiotics which I am still injecting him with through the mouth.

He doesn´t seem to have reacted to the medication. He is continuing to squeek the same way and I think he is in pain when he tries to do the business.

Can anyone offer any help or solutions that may save him?

Many thanks.

pigpal

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 2:15 pm

I´m so sorry to hear about your pig´s illness. Could you answer a few questions to give a us clearer idea of the situation?

How old is Fudge?
Where was he wet, was it pee, drool or diarrhea?
What medication is he on and how much?
Does he squeak when he tries to pee, or when he tries to poop?
Is he eating and drinking? If so, what?
Are his poops normal?
Is your vet experienced in treating guinea pigs, or a regular cat and dog vet?

Sorry so many questions, but they will help us to help Fudge.
Last edited by pigpal on Mon May 06, 2002 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 2:16 pm

Where are you located? Injecting through the mouth is a new one for me. Many antibiotics are effectively given orally.

What antibiotic is your pet getting? Check out the article on Antibiotic Intolerance on Guinea Lynx (see button top right). If your pet is incontinent and having trouble peeing, he could have a bladder stone. I think you need to make sure you have a competent vet who is completely familiar with urinary problems. Did your vet say it could be a urinary tract infection? Squeeking while peeing is more likely stones than an infection (I think -- from what little I know).

-JB-

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 2:42 pm

How old is Fudge? 4 Years Old

Where was he wet, was it pee, drool or diarrhea? Bottom and tummy - pee

What medication is he on and how much? 4 Baytril Sol 2.5% per ml - 0.2ml twice a daily for 6 days

Does he squeak when he tries to pee, or when he tries to poop? Not sure - Both

Is he eating and drinking? If so, what? Made him drink water by injecting orally as he hadn´t been drinking on his own for a long time. Decided to drink by himself after that. Was eating Parsley (loves it) but no longer seems even to want that.

Are his poops normal?

Yep - When he does them

Is your vet experienced in treating guinea pigs, or a regular cat and dog vet?

Regular cat and dog but has experience with other, smaller animals.

Thanks for your time.

pigpal

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 3:02 pm

Here is the link to the information Lynx mentioned:

https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/antib ... rance.html

I should also have asked: how long you have been giving the Baytril so far?

After a few days, if the prescribed antibiotic is not working, the vet needs to re-assess whether this is the right drug - before it´s too late. Sometimes Baytril will make a pig lose it´s appetite.

A pig that is not eating is in VERY serious danger. You need to start hand feeding Fudge right away or risk permanent liver damage and death. Extensive information on what and how to handfeed (by syringe) is given in the GuineaLynx medical guide under Anorexia (handfeeding):

https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/emerg ... andfeeding

I would advise you to find a vet that specializes in exotic animals, and has experience treating guinea pigs, and make an URGENT appointment ASAP. Failing this see your current vet ASAP and explain that Fudge is getting worse. You could also print out the information on antibiotic intolerance to take with you.
Last edited by pigpal on Mon May 06, 2002 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 4:13 pm

Check out the link on safe and dangerous meds, too. Bactrim, chloramphenicol, and doxycycline are supposed to be safe and effective meds too. And think Guinea Lynx link to the Veterinarians page has some hints for how to find a good vet.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon May 06, 2002 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 6:18 pm

If it´s a urinary tract infection, sulfa drugs sometimes get a better result than baytril. From the sounds of it he could have a stone. The vet should xray for diagnosis. A hydration subcue treatment should be given if he is dehydrated.

Do a search on bladderstones. There is info at this forum and in reference.

Some pigs lose appetite while on Baytril.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 8:04 pm

Please take him back to a vet and have an x-ray done. The poor thing must be having pains. Something similar happened to my male guinea pig years ago and it turned out to be a bladder stone.

Sonia

Post   » Mon May 06, 2002 8:53 pm

JB, I don´t know much, but if anyone can advise you, and support you through this, then you´ll get it here. Follow the advice given here and check in regularly. Like it has been said, you really need to start hand-feeding as soon as possible. It can be a disheartening struggle, but it is really important that you do as soon as your piggie stops eating for an irregular period of time. Did the vet give any indication on what he thinks might be wrong with your guinea pig ? If you tell us what area you are in, then maybe someone here can advise you on a vet they use, or know to be good with piggies !

Soak some guinea pig pellets in water and zap them in the microwave until you get a mash like state. Then try to syringe it into the mouth of your little one. You have to get the food right inside to the back teeth otherwise he/she may spit it out.

Good Luck, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

Laura823

Post   » Tue May 07, 2002 11:35 am

Is there any sign of blood in the urine? Have you had a sample cultured? At least if you rule out infection you can concentrate on exploring other possibilities. Like everyone else has said I would get an x-ray done too.

When Piglet was on Baytril for a suspected UTI (which it turned out she did not have) she lost her appetite completely and I could hardly get anything into her even by syringe (including Critical Care which I have never heard of a pig disliking before...she hated the smell of it so much she would rumble at me and run into her house at the first whiff, and spit it out if I did manage to get it in) I know a lot of pigs have some loss of appetite on certain antibiotics, but if your pig´s reaction is this severe he may have an intolerance to Baytril. If it turns out her does need an antibiotic you may have to consider switching.

If your vet isn´t experienced with cavies and you can´t find one in your area that is, you may have to tell him exactly what tests, etc. you want/need to have done (ie. advice you´re been given here) instead of waiting for him to suggest it.
Last edited by Laura823 on Tue May 07, 2002 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Tue May 07, 2002 1:41 pm

How is Fudge doing, JB?