Question about a sow with fur loss. Cyst?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon May 27, 2002 12:25 am

I have a friend that has 2 four year old sows. One of them has pretty extensive hair loss on her back and sides. The vet (don´t know who) told her it was probably an ovarian cyst. I saw her briefly and she didn´t appear to have an sores etc. that would indicate mites. My friend has had the pigs for several years.

She doesn´t want to operate on her because she feels she is too old. How do older sows do with ovarian cyst removal? Is it basically a spay? I know she could live for several more years without the cyst. If the cyst is left, won´t she die? With the cyst there will her hair ever regrow? It´s hard to tell people what to do. Of course, if it were my girls, I would have it removed.

Kara

pinta

Post   » Mon May 27, 2002 12:52 am

4 years isn´t too old for a spay. I´ve had a 5-year-old spayed successfully and Vicki of Jack Pine Guinea Pi=g Reescue has had many 5-yr-old sows spayed successfully.

It could be cysts, or Cushings Disease. Cysts are more likely and can usually be palpated. Cushings can only be diagnosed by ultrasound. Enlarged adrenals are indicative of Cushings. L-Deprenyl is the treatment drug.

Cysts can be left but it is probably better if they are removed. I have a pig with a cyst that we have treated with HCG injections to shrink the size rather than going for surgery. Her sister died on the table during surgery and the vet is concerned that Abby isn´t a good surgical candidate either. HCG only shrinks the cyst - they can get big again.

If there is heavy duty hair loss and cysts for sure (an ultrasound can diagnose) a spay might be the way to go. It is obvious that there is a hormone imbalance. Abby had minor hair loss on her sides pre HCG injection. After the injections, the hair grew back. If she had as serious a hair loss as this pig I would probably go for the surgery.

Are her nipples enlarged? That´s another sign of hormones out of whack and potentially pyometra(sp?), infection of the lining of the uterus. Also some pigs with cysts have accompanying UTIs. (Abby hasn´t.)

So, if it is cysts and the pig is in good health a spay is a permanent cure. If the pig is not a good surgical candidate HCG injections are the way to go. Most important is to diagnose what the problem is so the appropriate treatment can be chosen.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon May 27, 2002 1:34 am

Thanks Pinta. I will call her with the info. I am trying to get her to go to Adobe to see Dr. N. The sow appears to be healthy and active. I didn´t get a chance to hold her. I will ask about the nipples. I guess the most important thing is to find out that it is for sure a cyst. Thank you again. I will see how far I can "push" her to go. I forget that not everybody is as pig crazy as we all are.

Kara

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 27, 2002 8:15 am

I trust the pigs have gotten ivermectin and are not showing any signs of mites. If not, you might want to rule out mites as a cause but it does sound like ovarian cysts.

I am so glad you have a truly competent vet you can point her to. Not everyone has a good vet available (and he will certainly be able to diagnose the problem).