Would that be Ameretto Hiccup?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Ha!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:16 pm

What a wonderful story this has turned out to be. I have to agree with everyone that you ladies who do so much for these little ones are like angels. It melts my heart to see so much pain and neglect and then how many wonderful experienced people just come to their rescue. Thank you for all you do!

Ange1icflowers

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:59 pm

I was just looking at the "before" and "after" photos of his foot. I think that even already his foot looks like the swelling has come down QUITE a bit. It has to feel better for him.

Bless you guys for rescuing this poor little dude. At least now he knows what it means and feels like to be loved.

Lisser

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:34 pm

So true Angel, so true.

By the way, why every time I try to reply to a post it takes me back to the cavy chat forum and I have to go back to the topic AGAIN to be able to post? What am I doing wrong?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:53 am

The little turd is chewing through the report binder things. I gave him a box full of hay to play in and chew on. A little chewing. His poops are all small today, so I need to make sure he's eating more. He's only 1000g, but his body condition score is like 1.5 at best (out of 5). He should probably be at least 1200g at a decent weight.

His open sore is getting closed, so that'll be nice. I suppose I only have a week left of bandaging (I hope). I took the broken toenail off last night. He was not pleased, but I'm sure it hurt whenever he walked and put pressure on it. It was pretty much broken right at the toe.

Becky

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:27 pm

OK, Ms. Jo. Now you need to post the rubric for a 5 point body score. Enquiring minds want to know.

Ow on the toe! He probably does feel better now.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Geez Louise! You are picky. I'll see what I can find online. It's something you use in veterinary medicine, but there are different scales (some are like 10-point, too). I prefer BCS to weights, since sometimes pigs are wasted away or gain ascites and their weights don't change much (or increase), but their overall body condition changes.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:40 pm

Here's the one I learned from: Hill's BCS Chart for Dogs and Cats There isn't a chart that I know of for cavies, so I just use it as a guide. Also, 2.5 is pretty much ideal (not 3 as the chart suggests). 3 would be considered heavy by many standards. When I showed dogs, we used to like them to be about 3 for show condition. 2.5 was maintenance.

Becky

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Link isn't working for some reason.

Is this like those charts you see at the vet, with an overhead view of skinny to obese cats and/or dogs? If so, what would be the guinea pig equivalent?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Hmmm... The link works for me. It's probably like the charts you've seen, Becky. The pig I have has a definite waist and protruding hip bones. The BCS system has allotments for how well you can feel bones, ribs, hips, spines, etc. I'm sure the humane organizations use something similar to evaluate their starvation cases.