drying veggies?

adorolecavie

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 am

This might sound like a strange question, but there's a debate on this in another group I follow and I wanted to check to see what you guys here think.

When washing vegetables/lettuce/etc, is it necessary to dry them off before giving them to the guineas? I remember my vet once telling me when I had a sick and slightly dehydrated pig, that since my girl wasn't drinking on her own but was eating some veggies, besides syringing her some water every now and then, I could also leave the excess water on the veggies and that way she'd get more water intake. Is this wrong? Is this somehow harmful to a guinea pig?

I know they can't have wet (i.e. "covered in dew") grass but I thought that vegetables were different... does anyone have any advice to share? I've never really made a point of drying off the veggies after washing because of my assumption that no harm was being done, but now I'm curious!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 am

It's water. How could it possibly hurt them?

Did anyone offer any reason why they should be dried?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am

In my almost 9 years of having pigs I’ve never dried my veggies. I wash them and then drop them into the cage on a plate. Years ago my vet said the same thing as yours.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am

I keep the water on my veggies, too. When I first got my pigs they didn't want to drink much, so that's how I made sure they got enough water.

If you're making some veggies in advance, then you should dry them because wet = rot. Even after a day or so, you might end up with some slimy/rotting patches.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

I don't dry my veggies off either. It's especially important for any pig not getting enough fluids.

adorolecavie

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:28 am

"It's water. How could it possibly hurt them?

Did anyone offer any reason why they should be dried?"

My thoughts exactly. No, this person did not offer any reason, but as we have sometimes in the past gotten into a discussion over certain things, I preferred to check with the experts before responding, as I'd rather not get into another pointless argument. But I too see no point in drying your veggies (if you are feeding them right away) and in fact can see some benefits. Thanks for confirming!